View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrang View Post
Yesterday I dispatched a squirrel that had been raiding my wife's bird feeder.

The shot was taken from a bit less than twenty yard with my Model 25 Walking Varminter in 17 Hornet.

The load was a compressed charge of 4198, WW WSR primer and a formed PPU 22 Hornet case, with a 20gr Hornady V-Max pill.

My wife was sitting on her loveseat reading her Kindle by the window in our bedroom, which overlooks the bird feeder.

When I took the shot, the squirrel had jumped off the feeder and was crouched on the ground facing me.

All that I saw in my scope's field of view was a burst of fog and the squirrel hurtling backward about a foot an a half.

At the moment the shot had gone off, my wife had just glanced up from her reading, toward the feeder when she saw 10 feet of pink mist spraying from the location of the base of the feeder toward the woods behind and a somersaulting blurr of a squirrel hurtling across the ground.

All she could say is that it was like watching the Zapruder film when she had glanced up, the moment the squirrel was hit.

Upon my inspecting the squirrel, there was nothing but ragged shredded fragments from just below where the squirrel's arms once were.

Everything else had been literally vaporized by the 20 grain V-Max.
I actually enjoyed reading that......eating my breakfast!