View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 12:14 PM

I used to have a Dillion press for .40 cal & 9mm. I shot a lot of pistol back when I was working. There was always some minor problem I had to deal with, weak spring, broken part, etc. Dillon was always there and ready to help out. However when I retired, I got away from the Dillon since I no longer needed it for mass production.

At the same time I had the Dillon, I was also reloading for .223 and a friends 7 mm. I used a RockChucker that is still in use today. My main two rounds I load for now are the .223 and .20 VT. Mostly the 20 VT.

As everyone knows, it takes several steps when making new VT brass. I do all of the new brass work in steps in lots of 250 to 500. All of the sizing is done, all the neck trimming, etc.

On the fired VT brass, again I do it all in stages, sizing, neck trimming if needed, etc.

I don't do all of it at once and will take a break whenever I want. By doing it this way, I never get my brass mixed up with others and I can inspect the brass much easier than if I was using a progressive machine.

Just before I start the reloading process on either new brass or fired brass, I have a 3x5 card with all the steps written on it. The steps are in order and the card is placed in the bend with the brass I'm currently working on. This way if I stop for a week or so, when I come back I know where to start up again and there's no confusion. My mass reloading usually starts around March getting ready for PD season. I do all of my load testing before hand so when it's time for mass loading, I'm ready to go.