View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default Blown barrel shotgun.....

Blew up my Dad's 12 ga Seara bolt action shotgun about 1968 - old felt wads totally silenced the primer of the first round going off. Next round bulged the barrel at the choked section and the other wad (2 per shell) caused the barrel to rupture at the midpoint. I had removed the shot from the first shell wanting to 'shoot' into the air at midnite on New Years' Eve. Of course opening the crimp allowed the over powder wad to relieve pressure off the powder charge. Only the primer went off but I didn't realize it.
I was unscathed but learned THIS lesson as you have described!

Similar: I rebuilt/restored/repaired BB and Pellet rifles for about 8 years. Occasionally had rifles with a bore full of pellets. I forget how many the 'record' was but I do remember pulling 18 pellets out from a nice old Benjamin 312. Crosman made a special tool for this as it was a common repair at the repair centers....a steel rod with a tapered wood type screw on the end. You can't 'DRIVE' soft lead pellets out usually,...but it's pretty easy to disassemble the gun and pull them out one at at time from the rear. You'd think that after 2 or 4 pellets not coming out that....well......

Hey just remembered a Sheridan that had 29 or 30 pellets in the bore.....here's a picture of open heart airgun repair....lol~! If you hear some one saying "pump it more and try it again"......you may be observing this happening:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.