View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Some people should not reload

I'm not sure that access to all the reloading information via the internet is a good thing for all reloaders. It seems that some people just don't "get it." They think that because a load was safe in one rifle (or at least someone SAID it was safe), it should work in their rifle. They don't understand that reloading data is not portable from one rifle to another.

A friend of mine loaded a Kimber Mach IV to pressues that blew the follower out of the magazine. He seemed to be happy that he reached the magic 4,000 fps level with a 25 grain bullet and doesn't realize how close he came to disaster.

He just can't seem to comprehend the relationship between bullet weight, small bores and small powder charge increases. He used to think nothing of increasing powder charges in .5 grain increments and used different brands of primers interchangeably when loading for the Mach IV. He ignored my warnings to move more slowly saying that he was STARTING at .5 grains below the maximum load he could find in whatever manual showed the most powder used in a given cartridge. Thankfully he no longer loads for the .17 caliber rounds and he still has his eyes and hands!

I know that I don't understand why seemingly identical rifles with identical barrels shooting identical loads can vary so widely in the resulting velocities. I do know that each rifle has its own requirements, that each one must be treated as unique and must have maximum loads tailored for it.

We all need to be reminded periodically of what can happen when we relax too much with this hobby or push the envelope too rapidly.

Gary