View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

It would seem we all agree.
I think one of the big offenders is a blind quest for a specific listed velocity. A guy reads a specific velocity attributed to a round somewhere so he goes to chasing it and doesn't pay attention to the basics.
Not to point fingers but on occasion a newly created round written about in Small Caliber News is touted as a round that gets "x" velocity and is a panacea of some kind to fill all varminting needs. An example would be the Tact.20 that was originally touted heavily as a 4,350fps round. That's 200fps faster than remotely possible to duplicate safely in my rifle whose working load is 4,150fps. At 500 yards with that extra 200fps with all the risk involved and with the rifle sighted dead on at 250 it would gain about 2 inches less drop. So for 2 inches at 500 yards a guy risks "explosions, shards, surgerys and eye patches" or worse, it makes no sense. If a guy has to have that two inches it's a perfect excuse for a new rifle, make mine a .20BR.
Everyone has their own opinion, mine is the ".20 VarTarg" while one of my all time rat rifle favorites in a huge way is still not an effective humane 500 yard rifle, maybe I need shooting lessons. The Tact.20 or .204 with 40grainers are, the .20 BR "SURE" is, the VarTarg with 32's isn't. Just my opinion and we all know about opinions.
When I go p-dog hunting I take multiple rifles like a golf bag full of clubs. I don't feel the need to make a round shoot way faster than it oughta. I like buying new guns!
I'll get off my soapbox now, "sorry"! I just don't want to see anyone hurt.