View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default Small caliber black powder gun

While weaving threw the people at the Dixon's Gunmaking Fair yesterday I came across the Price Barrels booth. These fellas make one of the most sought after BP barrels in the country I am told. I got into a conversation with Mr Price and asked what would be the smallest caliber barrel he could make. He informed him the smallest he would do was a .40 cal. Although he has done some special orders fo .36 cal. I went on to tell him about my interest in .17, .20, and .22. He told me in barrel manufacturing lingo (which was like talking to me in Swahili) how it would be a lost cause to produce anything lower than .40 cal. I yessed him to death then took a look at a few rifles he had there. These rifles were just finished for customers and were there as display only but did have price tags I guess to inform you what one would cost. Now they were real gems of the type of craftsmanship I have never seen before in a BP rifle. Silver inlays, wood that would make you cry for, but at the tune of fifteen to twenty thousand dollars to own one I was a bit taken back lol. After touring all the tables I came to the conclusion I was a bit out of my league here. Every rifle for sale was well over five thousand dollars. Now I am not saying they aren't worth it. One fella told me he had a year into one rifle. But.... I lost my interest in the .17 caliber smokepole real fast.lol.

The fair was a good time in the hills of Pa. I really luv that state. It was a breath of fresh air from the armpit of America we call NJ. All the fellas at the tables were friendly and eager to answer any questions. The seminars were outstanding. If you are into smokepoles this is one you do not want to miss.

Steve