View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Flintlock in left hand and .32 caliber and these are very common in percussion too. You can buy them new off the shelf for anywhere on up from $400. Mine is a custom built, made back in the 70s, that I bought used when the maker passed away, it was one of his personal guns. Very well made, tight metal to wood fit, a Douglas barrel. It was built as a hunter shooter so no carving, inlays or fancy scroll work and I bought it for less than $500.

It is a hoot to shoot and fun on squirrel, partridge, rabbit and the like. It is also very accurate, shooting right around an inch at 50 yards with regualr open sights. I have seen flintlocks as small as .25 caliber and have heard of them having been as small as .22 but have never seen one. You can easily order .32 barrels, and I am sure Green Mountain would make you one down to about .22, and they can be either flint or percussion. If you go flintlock, you need to use real BP as the subs don't work well. In a percusssion the subs work fine.