View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 PM
Supporting Member

When I bought a .204 in the CZ Varmint Kevlar with the HS stock on it that model had just come out. A lot of discussion was going on about the .204 and how they should have just used the .20 Tactical because in a lot of guys view it was a better round then the .204. I didn't see it as a fair comparison because by being a wildcat the .20 Tac's were built by smiths on custom barrels and to tighter tolerance's etc.
Stock the .204 I got was a half inch rifle if I stretched the 39 Blitz-King or some of the 32's out close to the lands but with it's giraffe like throat that meant stretching the OAL out to much to fit in the magazine.
I sent it to Greg more for rectifying the OAL issue and making it a fair comparison between the .204 an my custom .20 Tac than anything. He made it a minimum spec, zero free-bore chamber with a snug but no turn neck, he bushed the bolt and straightened it out a bit as well.
I bought a fair amount of WW .204 cases and weight segregated them into MTM boxes of 50 like I do with most rifles.
Being concerned with the safety issue I have the rifle, every box of cases I have as well as the book I keep with a page for every gun I own and in every place available I marked "WARNING" do not fire factory ammo as it is dangerous in this "Wildcat .204" and might well blow up!!!
With the OAL issue no longer a problem, I can now make a 39 grain Blitz-King fit in the magazine and still touch the lands, same-same a 33 V-Max.
Interestingly (at least to me), after working up 39/40 grain or 33/32 grain loads, for both rifles, there is amazingly little difference in ballistics between the .20 Tac I have or the .204. The .20 Tac is "slightly" more accurate with everything but not enough to make any rodent difference and about what I'd expect comparing a 3 groove Super-Match Pac-Nor to an overhauled factory CZ barrel.
The big advantage for the .20 Tac in my opinion is the wealth of .223 brass out there. That's my experience with the two but then I didn't change the angle of the case shoulder, nor do I plan to and none of the rodents that crossed paths with either rifle will argue either .
I'm all for anybody that wants to really wildcat the .204 doing it and I'd love to read the results as well . I do wish both of them had 11 twists too, to late for that however.