Thread: hornet brass
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady 35VMAX factory ammo, but they blew around in the wind too much for me. Haven't reloaded it, since I standardized on Win brass before that. At 12.x gr, it sounds more like Win internal volume than Rem volume, if that is a near full load. The Rem will hold 13.x, if I remember right. Measure water or powder capacity if you really need to know. Funny you mention the PPY, just saw that for the first time in Hornet a couple of weeks ago. A dealer at a show here had loaded factory ammo for $22/50rds. The RWS brass is supposed to be very good, but the last brass I saw advertised were priced with Lapua brass or higher. S&B Hornet brass is heavier than Win and has a smaller flash hole. The S&B ammo shot really well out of a buddy's CZ.

Regarding neck cracking, from my experience it is really a function of how big the neck diameter of the chamber is. With segregated Win brass, I have gotten 15 reloads in my Kimber M82, but only 5 or 6 in the Ruger No. 3. When they start to crack, just anneal them and all is good again. My reloading procedure is to neck-size only, and only about 3/4 of the neck length.

Last edited by TinMan; 03-12-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling