View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member

Default .222 Improved 40 degree shoulder

My gunsmith has a .222 "Improved" reamer that has a 40 degree shoulder and a .242 neck. He used it as a benchrest cartridge in the early years before he moved to the 6x47. I had him build me one on an XP 100 in a very heavy barreled configuration for varminet hunting. It shoots 50 grain V Max bullets in the 3400 FPS range using 22 grains of Reloader 7, which would be way too much in the standard .222. It will shoot groups in the .2's all day and I had one group in the 0nes some years back. My recent testing of the new XBR 8208 powder in the TAC .20 and the Russian suggests that it will do well in this new case also.

I personally do not like the .223 cartridge nor the .222 Magnum. Developing a cartridge design on the .222 case makes sense if that is your personal choice. I just got a new reamer from PTG called the .20 DUSTER which I believe was designed by Dan C. Again, 40 degree shoulder longer neck and great brass is available. A tinkerer's dream. I believe with the right powder it will match my TAC .20 and my .20 Russian.

Just some thoughts...

Bruce