Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Supporting Member

Default High Plains Brass - 17Rem

I received my 200 pieces of 17 Remington brass a few days ago. I got it out today and loaded a few rounds. A few things I noticed right off the bat.
  1. The brass is mostly LC07
  2. The brass is mostly square and trim
  3. The OAL doesn't vary much over the 200 pieces.
  4. The brass needs annealed
  5. Sort through the necks for cracks folds and other deficiencies
  6. The Brass needs FL sized and that's stated by High Plains
I got a few right off the bat I missed that blew the sidewalls out of the cases or split the necks. No issues, just cull the brass prior to using. I also got a few that the pockets needed swaged.

Now you might be thinking, wow this is a really negative review. Yes there are a few items that need addressed prior to use, but for the price, customer service, and availability those few negative items are moot points. For the price of 100 cases from Midway I got 200 pieces of good brass and I don't feel bad about losing them or chucking them out of an AR.

With all that said I think HPB is onto something with the reformed 223 cases. When I need to order more 17Rem brass I will go back to High Plains.

Thank you guys for a good product at a really good price. After forming brass for a while I know the efforts that go into it.

Adam
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default High Planes Brass

I ordered 200 of the 221 to form to 20 VT, I lost 5 out of the 200. 1 had a split neck and the other 4 were due to operator error. When all was said & done I still had 205 pieces of formed brass. They will be annealed, loaded and then off to range.

I am very pleased with HPB. I emailed them prior to ordering to see if they were annealed, and they replied quickly that they were not due to pricing concerns. The LC headstamps were not all the same, but the brass was very consistent in trim length, and formed easily.

Gary
Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Adam - were the cases lengthened to the Rem's length - or short, simply formed to .17Rem?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

The OAL varied between 1.780-1.790" through the brass. The length after fire forming was consistently within .005"-.010" of MAX OAL, 1.796". I would still trim as the fire forming caused variations in the neck length and I usually trim to the lowest if it falls within .010" of Max OAL. The gun didn't seem to mind the variation, so I'll probably ignore the trimming and just shoot.

Adam
Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

I bought 400 pieces of brass and am pleased with what I have seen. I think the price, service , and availability deserve our attention. Chris
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Good value.

I agree with Adam with one extra thing, they claim .011 wall thickness on the 221 brass mine are more like .015. I had one primer pocket a little loose out of fifty I have primed the rest were perfect. You will need to anneal, but running them through my 20 VT die one pass they were beautiful. I have made 221 brass from 223 and its a lot of work, so I have to say thumbs up on High Plains Brass, its a real good value. sgtg out

PS; I have fire formed 20 cases so far 20-221 40 Degree shoulder, they formed perfectly, As I said a real good value, I'm definitely ordering more. sgtg out
Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 PM

Is this once fired military brass re-formed to 17 rem.?????
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Tim, yes milspec once fired.

Adam

Last edited by ab_bentley; 11-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Hope all are aware this ammo is fired in auto-matic weapons and the cases can really get stretched out, thin side walls....
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

Tim is correct, but as low as the price is I'll deal with issues that might arise.

Adam