Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Absolutely DO NOT buy a Cooper!

They look great, shoot itty-bitty groups, the classics carry like a dream and the various varmint models are super and accurate off the bench,

BUT

They multiply in the closet or safe. They are heinously addictive. They cause you to take them out for a personal gun show at horribly inconvenient times. Some are even so good looking that you may find them in bed with you, a really difficult thing to explain to your wife or significant other.

DO NOT BUY THE COOPER!

Alex, a Cooperholic, still looking for a 12 step program
Old 11-18-2014, 06:03 PM

They suck so bad I have 14 of them. check out Hendershots website. They have a Model 51 in 223 in custom classic for $6700.00 One of the nicest pieces of wood I've seen in a long time. Its marked sold.

Last edited by dlong; 11-18-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 PM

All Coopers calibers are available in repeaters except those built on the model 38 action which is the action used for rimmed cartridges, due to the design of the model 38 action it is not possible to build a repeater on it. The 17 Hornet is a rimmed cartridge.

I did have a model 54 Classic built in 22/250 and it shoots as well as any of my single shot models. I had considered having a model 51 repeater built in 223 to replace my model 21 (single shot) but after using the model 54 repeater I found that the advantages of a repeater for field use are much more of a perception than a reality.

Like some of the other posters I have replaced my mass produced rifles with Coopers, it is hard to go back to hum-drum rifles after owning a Cooper.

drover
Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 AM

The repeaters really suck as far as accuracy goes. Below are some typical 100 yard groups fired with my model 51 repeater in 20 Tactical. The targets are from two loads, with a muzzle velocity varying by 200 fps, yet the accuracy, and the point of impact don't seem to change.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:17 AM

I feel the need for a repeater only in my deer/elk rifles and my rim fire rifles. Hunting big game I want a quick follow up shot thus I want several in the magazine. With a rim fire the cases are so small I fumble them around trying to single load. I find a single shot fine for varmint hunting and target shooting.

I have a Cooper 20VT and I like it a lot. However the problem with new Coopers is the $2000 price tag is approaching a full custom rifle. And the new Coopers don't have nearly as nice of a walnut stock as they used to unless you pay big bucks to upgrade. Never the less, I anticipate at least one more Cooper in my safe. I've seen used ones with very nice stocks in the $1,000-1,200 price range.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Supporting Member

I just went to the Hendershots site as well as Mark's First Stop in Rapid city. I quickly discovered that while I was busy with other endeavors Cooper has moved their prices well above my pay-grade. When the Varminter cost $995.00 and the Montana Varminter with better wood and cooling vents was $1295.00 they fit where I thought they should in the firearm spectrum compared to a custom from Gre'Tan, I'd have a different think that one today...I think.
I've always liked the Coopers I've had and my only problems with them is what GW mentioned above, "how they vent gas from a ruptured case or popped primer". Unless something has changed while I wasn't looking it's by shooting hot gas directly back through the bolt and into your eye. I've got some permanent pits in my direct line of sight on some RayBan shooters I had to retire due to popped primers in a Cooper .17 MachIV. Long story but eternal proof of the "absolute necessity" of eye protection when shooting. Also I never cared for the finish which was duly noted in the paperwork as being "Not an all weather finish", sometimes it rains out here and spots in the finish of a pretty piece of wood bother me greatly.
All that said, I still have an itch for an Synthetic Excalibur in a .280 AI but as well as my tweaked BDL .300 Win shoots it's an itch that's gonna remain unscratched unless I win the lottery.

P.S.
Is it possible to win the lottery if ya don't buy tickets .
Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 PM

While I agree that the price does seem high in todays dollars a lot of it is the result of inflation, not necessarily manufacturers increasing their profits.

In 1990 I could buy a Cooper for $1000.00, today I can buy a Cooper for $2000.00.

In 1990 I could buy a Remington 700 BDL for $300.00, today I can buy a Remington 700 BDL for $800.00.

In 1990 dollars a $1000.00 is equal to $1800.00 in 2014 dollars primarily due to inflation. So while the price of Cooper rifles has increased it has not increased above normal inflation levels.

I doubt that you could have a GreTan rifle built for $2000.00 today. Let's say that you have $400.00 in the action you want rebarreled, from the GreTan website here is what it will cost to have it accurized.
"Rebuild your Remington Rifle or like style rifles w/ aluminum bedding block: Single point re-machine action & bolt, Double sleeve bolt body, Bush firing pin hole & turn pin, Double pin recoil lug, Open lug for larger tenon, Lap lugs, Polish sears & set trigger to a safe setting, Chamber - Thread - Crown (includes wildcats) but don't guarantee wildcats to feed , Satin bead finish barrel & lug, Epoxy bed barreled action, GTR lite steel firing pin & spring, GTR S.S. recoil lug, your choice of .200, .250 & .350, Stainless Steel Match barrel, up to 28" fl. to fit stock forend contour, Dagg 156 break in kit.
Price $1750.00"
Keep in mind that you are now into the rifle for $2350.00 and you still have the factory trigger and stock. If you want to upgrade them then you are into another considerable sum.

This is not a knock against GreTan but rather just putting into perspective what the cost of building a rifle costs versus buying a Cooper that is ready to go except for mounting a scope.

The fact is though with a little careful shopping and buying a "gently used" Cooper is the way to go.
Examples - I recently acquired a used Montana Varminter in very nice condition for $1000.00. this was from a gunstore, not an individual. Last year I acquired an excellent condition Varminter for $850.00. The deals are out there but they require patience, if you "want it and want it now" then be prepared to pay more.

drover
Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM

"I have 14 of them"

Dang dlong.....no wonder I can't find what I'm looking for.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have a model 21 that was rebarreled by Cooper last spring to 20 VT that shoots very good, but my main dislike is the stiff bolt lift. My sako L461 and Remington 700's are a joy to shoot in my "rotation lineup" when out shooting Squeeks , but the Cooper is the last in the rotation due to the bolt lift. I end up placing my thumb on the top of the scope ring to gain leverage to open the action after a round is fired. The stiff bolt is the same with or without fired brass in the chamber.

If I could find a replacement Rem 700 I would change this, BUT finding as good of shooting Remington is probably going to be a rebarrel of one of my 204 Ruger Remington's needing a new tube. What a mess I am in

I am waiting for the UPS man to pick her up as we speak. I'll post my findings once she gets back from Cooper.

Allen
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member

Drover you make perfect sense and now I know where all the good buys on used Coopers have gone . Trust me, if I saw a good buy on a well cared for used Cooper in a caliber I liked I'd be on it like a duck on a june-bug!!! I just can't remember when or if I've ever seen one for sale around here. I do like Coopers a great deal in spite of the two things I mentioned above.
In answer to the original "single shot" question I personally prefer em for colony varmint shooting.
All that said, I'd rather spend the money Greg charges on a rifle built to my specs than buy a semi-custom like a Cooper but that's all just personal preference . Two of my Coopers have actually visited Greg and man do I like em now! Both are single shots.