Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
I have a model 21 that was rebarreled by Cooper last spring to 20 VT that shoots very good, but my main dislike is the stiff bolt lift. My sako L461 and Remington 700's are a joy to shoot in my "rotation lineup" when out shooting Squeeks , but the Cooper is the last in the rotation due to the bolt lift. I end up placing my thumb on the top of the scope ring to gain leverage to open the action after a round is fired. The stiff bolt is the same with or without fired brass in the chamber.

If I could find a replacement Rem 700 I would change this, BUT finding as good of shooting Remington is probably going to be a rebarrel of one of my 204 Ruger Remington's needing a new tube. What a mess I am in

I am waiting for the UPS man to pick her up as we speak. I'll post my findings once she gets back from Cooper.

Allen
Allen the cocking ramp in the Coopers bolt has a real steep angle and that's just another quirk of construction. A slight dab of Moly-Slide on that ramp helps a bit.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks

Yea, I lube it up good, and it is just the design. I just need to start strengthening my right hand more, LOL... with one of those spring squeeze deals or a tennis ball.

I think it is more an excuse to get another gun, I do have a mess of "stay at home" guns when we go but the Cooper is always in the truck .
Every time I go through the vault to try and pick one to become a dedicated, rebarreled heavy barrel gun I close the vault without any headway toward picking the unlucky gun. If I had a local gunsmith one of my 204's would become the replacement 20VT.

Allen
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 AM

The first Phoenix I ever bought was $1050 brand new in 22-250. Wicked accurate. Put 5 shots in one hole at 100 yards. (only did that once). Those were the days. Glad I bought mine when I did, as they have gotten very expensive. One of these days I will have a true custom rife built, but just dont know how.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

With all these great reasons I can't believe no one mentioned
single shots are much easier on the ammo bill and don't heat the
barrels up as quick either.

Just a couple of my thoughts on the matter,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-23-2014, 03:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
With all these great reasons I can't believe no one mentioned
single shots are much easier on the ammo bill and don't heat the
barrels up as quick either.

Just a couple of my thoughts on the matter,
George I wouldn't say that either, I can get 5 aimed shots off in less than 30 sec with a bolt action single shot rifle............Kiwi
Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

at one time I could make six sometimes seven shots on ducks with a break open single and seldom missed either.
Doubt I could these days though.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Smile Cooper 21 MTV

OK, here my Cooper story. I brought mine oh 10years ago, one morning on the computer saw a COOPER 21 MTV in a 17Remington. My best friend has a REAL high grade Kimber of OR in a 17Rem. Gun store only wanted a 1025.00. I called made the deal. SO HAPPY. Got the gun waited the CA days. Picked the gun up on a Sat afteroon around 3pm. Had all the stuff with me SCOPE, Bullets drove out to a place to shoot, next plan was to go try to shoot a jack the next day with the new gun.

OK, got the scope on, set a target up. Went to load the gun, WHAT THE HELL a SINGLE SHOT. My heart sank. Back then Cooper didn't make 52s.

Next day pickup my friend, told him he had been a saleman for 30yrs for a big West Coast dist. He didn't know either. Shot some jacks, made one great running shot on at about 50yrds.

After that day, IT's MY GO TO KILL'em GUN. I have NEVER had a problem getting a second bullet going if need, but seldom do.

Wish I had the money to own more. BUY IT!!! You will not be sorry!!!! They choot better than we do!!!

Last thing I shot with mine called a dog in 185(range finder) he stopped, turned him up side down.

Last edited by k9i449@aol.com; 11-23-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Drover if what you say is correct then I should be able to get a 20 vt in a repeater. Right or wrong. It is my understanding they don't offer the 221 based cartridges in a repeater.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 PM

The Cooper website is a total disaster, it is impossible to tell what cartridge is available in what model. Actually it is almost impossible to tell anything from it.
I am away from home right now and do not have access to my catalog when I get back I will check it and let you know. Or if you are in a rush call 406-777-0373 and ask Cooper.

If the 221 is not available in a model 51 the only reason I can think of is that it may require a slightly different magazine than the longer 223 family of cartridges.

drover
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
The repeaters really suck as far as accuracy goes. Below are some typical 100 yard groups fired with my model 51 repeater in 20 Tactical. The targets are from two loads, with a muzzle velocity varying by 200 fps, yet the accuracy, and the point of impact don't seem to change.

i have a friends Tac 20 Montana Varminter in the safe, it shot 1/4 inch groups with some loads that came with the gun, Bolt lift was hard so I pulled them and there was a 1 grain difference in charge between loads so i reweighed them to 23.5 gr and pushed the bullets back in and used them on prarie dogs. Havent shot paper with it much since but it sure is fun to shoot pdogs with.. 23.5 gr H4198 and a 32 gr VMax's bring on some serious acrobatic's

I also have 8 other coopers from 17 Fireball to 375 HandH, all of them shoot, some better than other's but you won't be disappointed.