Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-10-2021, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySniper View Post
Chronograph
Thank you

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Supporting Member

Qaz, Thanks for the info. I shall give your method a try.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:59 AM

Went out three days, morning & evening and did not see a single groundhog. Blasted coyotes have done a good job. The last time I remember it was like this, a friends dog cleaned out most of the groundhogs on his and some surrounding farms and also put a dent on the coyote population when he could catch them.

You are a lucky man Hillbilly, 92 would be a dream season for me. I would be on cloud 9! I do have two questions though. Southwest Virginia has a huge coyote problem, much worse than ours and no one I have spoken to has gotten more than a few. How could there be so many more down there?

Second, How are you getting 3,700fps with a 53gr V-max using a 204 case when a 225 Win case can not get close to that, please explain. I am a new reloader trying to learn as much as I can and wants to keep all my fingers and sight!

Thanks, Qaz
Old 09-13-2021, 04:26 AM
Supporting Member

With all of this groundhog talk, some of you leave them, and some may take home for the dinner table, I have in years past before leaving Colo for Az. Hope to change that back around being in NW Wy now.

In all seriousness, how about sharing your favorite recipes or ways of preparing. I've taken some of the old Marlin firearms recipes and just switched the critter. Sour Cream Rabbit with Herbs or Texas Venison Chile always worked well.

Many thanks,

Michael.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:37 PM

I don't like fancy food or sauces and gravy. My two favorite ways to eat ground hog is fried and in a stew. Skin ground hog, remove glands on legs, cut up, some like to par boil at this point but I like it just rolled in flour with a little salt and pepper, then just fry it like you do chicken. MMM-MM

For stew- skin it, remove glans, cut up, par boil long enough so meat can be removed from the bones, stick in a pot, add carrots, potatoes, onions, swansons beef broth and a 1tsp garlic powder. Cook to taste.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Qaz
Old 09-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Well i dont think coyotes are getting all the Groundhogs. You hardly ever see them out in the fields here. I was told by a wildlife biologist that they got a liver disease and it wiped them about out in places. Ive been lucky enough to have some good places that has hogs. Just about every trip out i kill 3-8 groundhogs here. Im up to 97 so far and did not start shooting them til the end of June. The 22-204 case easily hits 3680- 3700 fps with 53 vmax with 29-29.5 gr of powder. It been done by several others that know what this cartridge is capable of. I can get 3750 fps but the brass only lasts about 3 firings. Its just that efficient. Its the same with my 22 Dasher 55 Nosler Ballistic tip at 4040 fps off of 35 gr of imr8208.

Last edited by HillbillySniper; 09-17-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:26 PM

I won’t dispute the biologist but will say that I have a ton of trail camera pictures with coyotes trotting by with a woodchuck hanging out of their mouth. Enough of these pictures to say they are a staple in their diet. We never had coyotes 20 years ago and now they are everywhere. So I would say it is probably a combination of things. Our woodchuck population seems to be ticking up the last year or two so maybe they are making a come back. Let’s hope, a walking woodchuck hunt is one of my favorite hunts.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:49 PM

I know the coyotes do get some of the Groundhogs from time to time. I love a walking Groundhog Hunt. Nothing like it. I do that alot with my 17 Ackley Hornet and inside of 250 yards they are usually in trouble.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:30 AM

I live on a 65 acre horse farm and can walk it and not see a thing. But get in a car to go to town I'll see a dozen nibbling away on the side of the road.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:27 AM

That is the same place I saw them all summer, by the road. I started swerving off the road after them, but I was doing too much damage to the truck. Hey, it is still cheaper than ammo right now.