Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Switch barrel?

Is it possible to build a switch barrel rifle that you can just spin the barrel off with just your hand and not need an action wrench and a vice? In other words, while the action is in the stock, spin one barrel off and a new one on. If not, why?

Qaz
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Default good question----

I have a Rampro listed FS on this site in 17AB with another barrel in 218 Mashburn Bee. I have an action wrench and barrel vise and do not use them. I hand tighten the barrels and shoot the gun. With higher intensity cartridges this may not be feasible but I understand the Benchrest guys are doing the same thing with the PPC rounds. I went through the vise and action wrench bit and thought I would try without using them. I measured the rounds after firing and could detect no stretching. After 200 or so rounds everything is fine. May need the barrel wrench to take it off as it seems to be too tight for hand removing but I will see when the time comes.
Works on my gun but maybe not on others.
Brooks
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Yes, BUT, ...

The "but" is cute. If your barrel is rifled to twist the barrel into the action, then it can become too tight for finger removal from firing forces. If twisted the other way, it can screw loose and create excessive headspace. Beware... -!!-

Speer #9 mentioned bench rest boys with rifles that had barrels that could be screwed in with fingers and switched... Using the same expensive custom action with several barrels... They also mentioned a "strap wrench" for the "tightened by firing" situation. SO I went over this with my gunsmith buddy at length.

At first he couldn't see it because he had never done it... Run them in tight so they hold measurements/headspace and call it good. He had to admit, subject to the above problems, no reason it could not be done.

Mr. Brown, gunsmith, eabco.com, is against tight threads. He told me that he screws the barrels in his model 97 with a minimum of force and uses lock tight, thread locker for a hold. Not sure if it is "finger tight" but you could ask. So the concept is out there. You have to be sure it is "for you" then make it work. Obviously, if you are sloppy and leave crud in the action and create excessive headspace switching barrels and blow a case into your face... bet you would wish you hadn't. Luck. Happy traills.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Supporting Member

I spin the barrel off my Marlin Papoose all the time by hand no problem. I just need a second barrel in something else.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Supporting Member

There is a big write up in PS from Glenn Buroughs(?) aka GlenninVA who had Kevin Weaver build one on a 40XB in 223AI and 20-223AI. He simply hand tightens it on and hand loosens it off. I am building one on a Cooper 38 and will have one on a Savage before the years end aswell. There are several members who have them.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 AM

Take-down Martini Cadet actions are capable of having hand-removable barrels as the cross screw tightens the threads around the threads. It is possible to have one chambered for a run of ctgs. on a single case, so the extractor works on them all. You could have a .17 squirrel, .17Ack.Hornet, 22 Hornet and "K" hornet all on the same action, hand removeable. - or allon the Bee case, including the .17 Bumble Bee, .17 AckBee or Killer Bee, .218Bee, .25/20 and .32/20 Winchester chamberings.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Qaz

I have 2 guns set up for switch barrel ( Hall and Stiller Diamondback ). You can put them on by hand, but they tighten up and takes a wrench to take them off. I had one come loose on and that can cause a lot of problems. I put them on with a small bump of the wrench now.

I can change barrels in just a 3 min. If the gun is set up, there is no need to take the action out of the stock or remove the scope. I have a Savage 12 with a 204 and 223 barrel. You have to take the action out of the stock and the scope off to change the barrel. My scope is set up with Burris Zee ringes ( you take the bottom screw out and the scope and ringes slide off and on)

I have a Bat action gun in 6BRX. I am thing of adding a bolt in 223 boltface and add a 20 Tac and a 223AI barrel for PD.

Mark Schronce
Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info guys!

Mark- If you are bumping it on with a wrench, then you need to use a wrench to take it off. How do you do that without taking the action out of the stock?
If the rifling is tightening it with the shot, how do you suppose it loosened and what problems other than headspace issues did it cause?

Qaz
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Qaz,

I use a barrel vice to hold the barrel ( c clamped to any table ) remove the bolt, Action wrench into the action - Just a bump to loosen the action - unbolt the barrel from vice - unscrew the barrel - screw on new barrel - back into the vice - bump tight - remove from vice - you are good to go. 3 min. tops.
My 2 of my actions are set up with a built in recoil lug. The stock is not bedded on the barrel at all. The stock in lnletted a little extra to remove the barrel. If you scope is very close to the barrel, you would have to remove the stock or the scope.

Benchrest gun, the action are glued to the stock, this is where all this came from. My actions are bedded and bolted in.

if your gun have recoil lug on the barrel, it should be pinned to the action, if not it would take a jig to hold the lug in place, to get it back to correct place to fit bedding.

The barrel coming loose will cause the headspace to grow more with each shot. Worse case. the Cases can start to bust, gases coming back into you face.

Mark Schronce
Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 AM

Default ab, concerning your Cooper 38

action you are doing a switch barrel for -- do you need to do anything special to the action threads, or just get the second barrel?

Charlie