Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default .20 KB Cooper Build

I started sanding on my custom stock this afternoon. Got most of it sanded through 120 grit removing the major, carving marks. Still have a fair amount of sanding left to do and fit the grip cap and recoil pad.

Michael
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 AM

Looks great, love claro walnut. I wish I had the talent and the time to do what your doing. Keep posting your progress and pictures.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Supporting Member

Oh baby!!! That is going to be sweet!!! The only thing better than a nice looking stock is one ya did yourself! I am green with envy!

Hey Michael, is that a 12 Volt M-drill??? If so I have one that I’ll send ya for free… Both batteries gave out on me and it was not much more to purchase a new c.d. so now I have a Panasonic and just have no had the nerve to throw this one away yet…. I also will include the case and charger as I think they are still around and in good cond….

Can’t wait to see that completed Killer Bee!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore
Default Looks great...

I really like how you did the shadowline cheekpiece. Once get get some finish on it all that fiddleback is going to shine through along with the mineral streaks and color of the wood. Nothing better than a great piece of wood on a Killer cartidge....

Dave
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Lookin' real nice ML,

Greg is doing my metal work this week, and Nick will be bedding my barrelled action in 2-3 weeks. My 20 KB is slowly coming along mainly due to my procrastination.

What is hard to see in Michael's stock pictures is the palm swell which makes this stock fit like a glove. I designed the stock and added the shadow line CP to make it more comfortable when shouldering than a factory Copper varminter stock. The pistol grip area is set farther back than the original stock design similiar to the feel of an English (British , to be politically correct ) shotgun. The forend bottom has a 1.25" wide flat so it will ride the bags when shooting at the range. The original Cooper varminter FE was more rounded like a "beaver-tail" design.

I should have pics pretty soon as here is a sneak peek of my stock layout.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks fella's for ruining my day, I think I'll go burn mine in the back yard. Nasty ole Cooper stick anyway.
Beautiful wood guys, wait'll ya shoot em.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Mntngoat

Who did the basic inletting and shaping of your stock? It is GREAT! Did you doing it all or have it done ? I am looking for a similarly shaped stock inletted for a L461 single shot. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 AM

TinMan,

Here's the skinny on the stock design and inletting:

I started out with a Cooper M38 Vmtr stock that was plain jane. I wanted something different and had several ideas from months of research on stock designs. A good friend of mine has quite a few Dakota DG Rifles built during Don Allen's tenure. These rifles feel absolutely perfect when you handle them. These stocks have a shadow-line CP that is not real aggressive looking, and a pistol grip that is lower profile and blends into the stock.

I also wanted a palm swell in the grip area that felt like one of my Rem 40X stocks (McMillan). The 40X stock also has a 1.25" wide flat that runs from the front of the stock to the front of the trigger guard. Very concentric, streamline, and slides perfectly on a front rest shooting bag.

With all that being said, I bought some bondo, modeling clay, and epoxy and remodeled the Cooper stock how I had envisioned. Cosmetically, the redesigned Cooper stock looks like a finger painting from your 4 yr old child. Bondo and epoxy everywhere and very hard on the eyes. When you fondle it, and do your best Ray Charles impersonation , it's a whole different animal. It has the best of many worlds : feels good, shoulders good, rides the bags well, and a real unique "looker" design. A one of a kind custom Cooper stock that no one else has.

Once I finished the hands on labor of designing the stock, I sent it to Ron Neely who duplicated it for MtnGoat and myself. Michael used a real nice stand out peice of claro, and I decided upon an English blank that I've been saving for years. My blank was large enough for 2 rifles as I have some left over for another project. Ron duplicated the stocks in 2-3 weeks and his prices were a good bit cheaper than others who I called on. After s/h and insurance both ways (to/from Ron) it ended up costing less than $200. The stocks are 80% completed on the exterior, and the barelled action areas was inletted .020" oversized to make things easier for the stocker when bedding.

The inside of the action area was inletted perfectly which means less work for the stocker. Ron sanded the stock with 120 grit to remove most of the routing marks. Overall I am very pleased and would do it again in a heart beat. Michael and I have to finish the stocks how we desire, as each will have a Dakota skeletonized grip cap, and mine will have a matching skeletonized butt plate. My metal peices and rings will be sent to Doug Turnbull for case coloring.

One other thing about Ron, you don't pay him until after you have recv'd the finished stock and you are pleased. Just like business was done 40 yrs ago, with a handshake and pay after you receive the product. FYI - Ron also does checkering as his work is comparable to gunsmiths in the guild; except ALOT cheaper.

email me offline or drop me a PM if you needs Ron's contact info. no clue if he has a Sako L461 pattern; however you could send him your current stock, and blank and he will duplicate it for you.

hope this helps answer some questions for those who are in building a rifle with a custom wood blank of your dreams.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 AM

CB, sent a PM earlier.