Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Supporting Member

Post Check out this 20 Killer Bee pic(s)

How do ya spell fun??? K-i-l-l-e-r Bee!!!! That’s how!!! Wow!!! There is some buzzing going on around here....

This has to be the nicest looking CZ barrel I have!!!

And case forming is a piece of cake!!!

Oh what fuuuuun… it is too playyyyy with the Twwwenty Killer Bee!

Sorry.. Could not help myself!!! Just too excited I guess??? Yeah I have been stung!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 AM

mighty fine looking fireformed case Gary; you done well my friend. i suppose you "officially" own the 3rd 20KB ever built as Mtngoat's (#4) is waiting for him at his FFL's store. Mine (#5) is slowly coming along mainly due to my custom english walnut stock work. I anticipate mine will be completed in 4-5 weeks if not sooner.

My 20KB will have Dakota skeletonized grip cap and butt plate each case colored by Turnbull. Can't forget about the new Jewell 8 oz. trigger which will top it all off.

Please keep us posted on your reloading data and results.
Thx CB <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks CB! I really can't take credit for owning the third KB but I can take credit for getting stung by them darn Killer Bees!!! This should hopefully be a real fun weekend!!!

Everything came from guys here on saubier... the CZ riffle... a preowned glass bedded 17 rem that got an x-17 Mach IV barrel and now has become a Killer Bee... The preowned barrel, the preowned Killer Bee idea are all giving me a great deal of enjoyment....

Although the 32 gr v-max was my bullet of choice the darn 40 gr v-max is running circles in my head as well?? Should have some loads figured out soon…

I can't wait to see these really nice Killer Bees that U-guys will be swarming the board with!!! I get weak in the knees just thinking about em!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 AM

Hi All,
What are the ballistics of the 20KB? What is the load? How loud is it (as quiet as a Hornet or a 221) Who has a reamer for it? Can I just order a barrel from PacNor?

I'm looking for a really light wieght, really quiet, 250 to 300yd, small game gun. One I can carry around for rabbits in close or sit down and do some mid range varmint work with. I am looking at the 19 Calhoon. It can be fitted to a 581 Rem rifle (just happen to have one in the safe).

How do you think the 20KB would go in the 581.

Thanks for developing an inspiring caliber.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Supporting Member

I just started load development today. It should run the 32 gr v-max up to 3700-3800 fps. FF loads today I only got it up to about 3300 fps with the 32s and just shy of 3200 fps with the 40 gr V-max. No pressure signs with either bullet/load combo.

Powders used today were 1680-lilgun-4227 with the 32s. I started out with a max load of 2200 & then X-Terminator with the 40s (both a compressed FF load). Tomorrow I will be testing some 32s with N-120 as well as working up with the powders used today.

With the 40s I will be trying out H-322-Benchmark, possibly lilgun and 1680 as well…

I think it is very comparable to what a 218 Bee sounds like??? Didn’t really pay that close of attention to it but it sure does seem like a mild recoiling hard hitting round with low barrel temps…

Sorry I do not know much about the 581s and can not comment about it…. I think my 17 Killer Bee would do everything you are asking it to do as well….. Might even look at the 17 AH for low noise….

Oh yeah, Dan C is the godfather of this round and I also have been thanking him (more than he’ll ever know!!!)
Old 01-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Supporting Member

Default Here's number two.

If I've posted this before sorry, my memory stinks.

Here is the logo.

Here is the whole rifle, it's a model 38 Cooper Montana Varminter re-done by Greg Tannel.

The first 5 shot right handed group shot with it with a 40 V-Max beside it.

All I've loaded with so far is AA1680 and 32 grain V-Max's with 7 1/2BR primers. The load that shot the above group is 17.1 grains for just under 3,800fps using 7 1/2BR primers.
Like the .17 Killer Bee compared to the .17 Mach IV when compared to the .20 VarTarg the .20 Killer Bee is a near ballistic twin.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

I just luv that lil Bee!!! Thanks Doug for making me green with envy!!! when I grow up I want to be like some of U-guys!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 AM

So who chambers for this round. Who has a reamer?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Supporting Member

The reamer was purchased from the good folks at Pacific Tool and Gauge from Dave Kiff. Like all wildcats that are new you order a reamer to start out with. For a round that already has reamers at gun smiths ya need to pick something more established like say a .20 VarTarg etc were a good number of smiths have reamers and dies can be ordered pre-made instead of having to have custom dies made special.

By the way if the 581 is the .22 rimfire I'm thinking of it won't work at all.

Last edited by montdoug; 01-06-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM

Montdoug,
I also would have thought that a 22LR 581 would not be suiteable for conversion to 19 Calhoon, but Jim Calhoon has drawings for the conversion and is sending them by mail to me.

He's a real nice guy. I'm in Australia and he's sending them out to me. The 581 is the little brother to the old 788. The 581 has six rear locking lugs that probably makes it plenty strong enough for the job, but I'm concerned about the length of the action. I rang Jim and pointed out that it was a 22LR model. He was aware of that and siad it was one of the better ones to convert.

I suppose I'll find out how its done when I get the drawings.

Thanks for your advice. When I find out I'll let you guys know.

Take care