Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger #1 .17 Killer Bee

Some may remember this project. It was started by George Wessinger who secured a the barrel, and octagoned by Mark Stratton.

It was originally going to be a .17 Ackley Bee on a Browning Low wall, but George passed away and fortunately I was able to get the parts back. The Browning was sold and I found a used Ruger #1 to be the donor. This one had pretty nice wood for factory so the plan was coming together.

Dan C. had recently developed his Killer Bee series and since I had a Cooper in 20 KB the 17 caliber was also necessary. I bought the reamer from PTG specifying a .195" neck due to my hatred for turning necks any more than necessary.

Also speaking to my stockmaker who also does a few rebarrels / year, we decided to send him the reamer, barrel and rifle.

I had in my mind a trim a little .17 that would be classic as well as easy to feed. Upon seeing pictures of some custom Ruger #1's I decided we woudl try and do a recessed safety as I had seen elsewhere.

My gunsmith was able to pull it off, along with a trigger job that is much more crisp than factory. We also spoke about a way to get rid of the factory rib and do something that no one else would have. I had a Dakota rib I picked up for a project long canceled and was hoping he could modify it to fit the octagon barrel but also so Talley rings could be used. Also speaking with my friend Rick who also did this recently he was able to sculpt it nicely and allow the scope to fit with a slight gap at the barrel and have the correct eye relief without crawling the stock.

I had a Leupold 12X fixed scope with .067" dot from my pistol silhouette days that will fill the bill nicely.

As for the the forend I had Tim smith Lyon modify the forend to fit the octagon barrel and free- float bed it to the barrel.

After getting brass made up I hope to get her out and see how it shoots.

If it anything like I expect it too I'll be happy, I'm well pleased with what I see so far.

ML