Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Default 11 mm dovetail drawing

Can somebody help with a scale drawing of a 11 mm dovetail?
Angles, width, height and so.
I have found a old target action and and plan to build a singleshot 5 mm Rem rimfire, but I need to mill a dovetail on top.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Supporting Member

For $20.00 you can get one to mock up from.

http://bkltech.com/Merchant2/merchan...egory_Code=600

ML
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 AM

http://cz452.com/cz452-faq.html

Mounting Scopes on the CZ 452
What’s the difference between an 11mm dovetail and 3/8" dovetail?
The standard 22 tip-off dovetail in the US is 3/8" at the bottom and up to 1/2" at the top. The European 11mm dovetail is typically 11mm at the top and perhaps 8mm at the bottom. The 11mm dovetail typically has a 60 degree angle from the bottom inside corner to the top where the 3/8" is typically 45 degrees. The top of the CZ dovetail is flat where many American guns are rounded since the receiver is made out of a metal tube.
Why won’t standard 3/8" mounts work with the 11mm dovetail? The size difference is not that much.
Some 3/8" rings will work with the 11mm dovetail. It depends on their design as to how well they work. BKL makes rings that work with either the 11mm or 3/8" dovetail.
What is the difference between 11mm and 3/8" dovetails?
First off lets understand what the measurements mean:11mm is 11mm across the top of the dovetail, 3/8" is 3/8" at the bottom of the dovetail. Secondly they are cut at different angles. Near as I can tell most 3/8" dovetails are cut at 45 degrees and the dovetail on my Special is cut around 60 degrees.
I don’t know much about the history of the different dovetails but my guess is that where the measurement was set is important. The 3/8" dovetail is meant to be gripped at the bottom and centered on the bottom. The "claws" need to touch the bottom of the groove to work properly. If you have a solid piece of metal that makes up most of the rings or mount with a little claw on the side the little solid metal must be cut to center the scope over the bore. This is one reason why a 3/8" ring may not be appropriate on an 11mm mount. Not all rings use a 2 piece gripping mechanism – the BKL rings are a good example – they may center themselves by their design.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM

Brownell's used to sell a 3/8" dovetail extrusion roughly 1/2" wide roughly 10 or 12" long that you could mill the bottom to your action diameter, and drill and tap anywhere to fit your action. That route might be easier. Do you need 11mm to fit some Anschutz metallic sights or something?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM

I just measured my Anschutz M 54 action and that will do.
I will post a pic of the action ( Schultz and Larsen M 61 ) before and after the milling.