Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 AM

It is a Green Mountain blank 1 in 12 twist. You would laugh if you saw my lathe, it is an Atlas 6 inch that has an 18 inch bed extension on it, not too many of them around, but I built an extended lead screw for threading and I can turn about 32 inches between centers on it. It even cuts metric threads. Takes forever to contour a blank, but I am retired and have lots of time. Larry
Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ah, ok. I lucked into a decent buy a few yrs ago when I had the cash. damned rare when both happen at the same time. Paid $1200 delivered and helped set it up on the bench even. Enco 13x40. It had been tipped over and thread chasing dial bolt broke off, and the two gear levers too, they were brazed back on. I haven't figured out the threading sequence yet. But I did make a decent dial setup. Need to fish the bolt out yet. Haven't been able to with all these health problems. All I can do to stand out there and run it an hour at a time.

I spent more than that much more on more tooling for it. center carriage braces for long turns, 4jaw, bunch of other stuff that may or may not ever be used I thought might be needed sometime. Face plate, new levers, and other such dream tools. It's 2hp 220v, I added a box to the welder feed with a separate breaker.

Recently Rider wanted me to turn some things for him. Didn't feel I could do the work in the time he wanted so I spent a few hours a couple times and got him to running it pretty decent. At least for what he wanted to make. Now I just hand him the keys.

Take care, that gun is still shooting now that I repaired it from blowing it up.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Hi Larry,
I have been following your thread with a lot of interest and no small amount of nostalgia.... My former father in law was always bringing me some kind of mil-surp rifle to make into something he had imagined. I really like your ingenuity.
I have barrel shank / thread dimensions for almost any rifle you can think of, if you need that info I will dig up the chart and send to you, just let me know.
Carry on.
Tom
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM

The chart would be real nice, I see lots of question posted here asking thread pitch etc for lots of different guns. I would post it or it could be added as a sticky. I am thinking of mounting a fixed 10X scope on this, I will have some Millett Angle Loc rings Saturday, not really that fond of them but they are windage adjustable and I am not that sure about the alignment of the scope bases, they look good but I have been fooled before. Larry
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Supporting Member

I will get the chart(s) scanned, probably be first of the week.
Tom
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Finished it off today, weather is supposed to be good on Friday so I will shoot it then. Hope it is good enough to read on the Chrony. A little heavy I put a 4-12X40 Scope on it, 9 pounds even like it is. Probably what you get with a 27 inch barrel and lots of military steel stuff in the stock. Larry