Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
BCB/TR:

One big fact of life regardless of time of year.
Killing a few coyotes you sure as hell won't be
denting the population of 'em.

Hey George...........with all due respect.

I was simply stating my opinion on when and why I have in the past and will in the future actually call and actively hunt to kill coyotes only at certain times of the year.. Even while growing up with and being around livestock most of my life, I've always seen them as a resource for the hides and that isn't going to change. Hence I limit my hunting to times of the year when the hides can be utilized. That said, I still don't shoot every single coyote that I see in south Texas where the hides are not worth saving at any time of the year. Just my choice based on local knowledge.

What someone else chooses to do in some other part of the country is their business, but it probably won't stop me from voicing my opinion if the issue comes up. And I've been around enough to know that very few things that people do will actually dent the coyote population to any great extent. Its long been said that the last living creatures on earth will be coyotes and cock roaches, and I have no reason to doubt that. And the coyote population is definitely not something that I lose sleep over. If they no longer existed in the ecosystem, I might lose some sleep over that, but I don't see that as being a reality.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-21-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity.........
Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

TR:

Bet you can't find a hole in the population where you shot that bunch.

Ranchers would much prefer they be killed just before and during
calving time. they don't care about the pelts. A $400 calf surviving
means a whole lot more than some coyote calling getting $8-50 for a pelt.

I've shot most for pelts too. But, they're fair game all the time.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Non of the ranches that I hunt have many coyote problems, darn few as a matter of fact. And I know that the hole I create gets filled back in pretty quick because obviously, if I can kill that many on the land I have permission to hunt, everyone and their brother knows that there's that many more on the other side of the fence from my stomping grounds and will fill the void in short order.
A new ranch that I just got to hunt last year had the government fly it the previous spring. 2 hours of fly time and they killed 18 coyotes. Just a few months later I go in there 3 times and kill 19 more. I haven't talked to the rancher since last time I hunted but I know they had planned to have the government fly it again this past spring, so I will be interested to hear how many they got. At any rate, I expect to go back in this coming winter and find plenty.
I am by no means under the impression that I am going to wipe them out, but I still believe that if I leave em alone all summer my calling success will be better in the winter.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
Non of the ranches that I hunt have many coyote problems, darn few as a matter of fact. And I know that the hole I create gets filled back in pretty quick because obviously, if I can kill that many on the land I have permission to hunt, everyone and their brother knows that there's that many more on the other side of the fence from my stomping grounds and will fill the void in short order.
A new ranch that I just got to hunt last year had the government fly it the previous spring. 2 hours of fly time and they killed 18 coyotes. Just a few months later I go in there 3 times and kill 19 more. I haven't talked to the rancher since last time I hunted but I know they had planned to have the government fly it again this past spring, so I will be interested to hear how many they got. At any rate, I expect to go back in this coming winter and find plenty.
I am by no means under the impression that I am going to wipe them out, but I still believe that if I leave em alone all summer my calling success will be better in the winter.
Another good post filled with reality. Thanks, TRnCO.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Make you guys a deal. IF you'll put your drink down and swallow
I'll tell you a real funny one I had. Ready?
Don't want anyone to blow drinks all over the screen.

Another member here and I went out calling one evening. A few cows were 75yds to the left in the open. Coyote came running right thru them and across in front of us then over the hill. Never slowed down, no shot.

Next evening I went back alone. Quite sandy there and me being 80% deaf can't hear much. Sitting behind a short bush calling. Hadn't seen any livestock anywhere.

All at once a hot wet tongue licked the back of my neck! Have you ever jumped over a 3' high bush from a sitting position? A gentle gray donkey and a pony had walked up behind me.

Ok, go back to your drinks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM

Sneaky critters sometimes George can put the fear of something into a person, glad it was just a donkey and it's companion. Bill K

I have been sitting about like you mentioned and have had a covey of mountain quail come along, clucking away and walk right across my outstretched legs.. Neat.