Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-09-2012, 02:55 PM

They don't seem to advertising different types of Super powder. http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I have been testing my 17HH with N-120...I have a 20" barrel, and am seeing velocities around 3550, am struggling to find much in the way of accuracy, with either remington brass I have formed, or the factory brass, using rem 6-1/2 primers, and 20Vmax's. I am going to switch to AA1680, and see if I can find the magic there.

Interesting to me, is I am over the same charges to get nearly the velocity that I am getting in my 17AH. I am actually at primer flattening charges in my 17AH, and not getting the speeds out of the HH.

This is a puzzling rifle(round) for me.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17HH powders

I was at Cabelas earlier this week and they only had 1 Superformance powder and I asked if there were others and they said no. Now....I realize the guys I asked may have been selling copies at Kinko's last week and weren't up to speed. When I asked about the new CFE 223 powder even the self proclaimed GunRoom reloading expert went into a tailspin, very unproductive question and answer session. I attribute that to all the oxygen being sucked out of the atmosphere in the Firearms department. When you hear a salesman tell a guy that the US Military is switching to Savage from Remington for their new Sniper rifles while holding a Axis kit gun, well..........

Larry, I knew you had a 17AH, didn't know you also built a 17HH? Must have been asleep, curious as to what your reasons for the 20" barrel were and details on the rifle.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM

There is only one powder called Superformance, at least currently. I think Hodgdon is confusing/confounding the issue by marketing their factory ammo called Superformance and the powder that is called Superfomance. They sell a host of factory ammo from 223 to 458WM under the Superformance monicker.

Check out the link.
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...technology.pdf
Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Supporting Member

Well for the general peace of mind and mental well being of all those blissfully and excitedly riding on the .17 Hornady Hornet bus I figured I'd post this picture I copied from Boddington's article on the .17 Hornet out of the "Guns and Ammo" article. That makes ya feel kinda warm and fuzzy don't it ?

Using factory ammo and what he says is an untouched and unbroken in brand new Savage it sounds like he was not only averaging half inch five shot groups but exceeding advertised velocity as well. Keeping in mind that factory ammo these days "sure ain't your Daddy's factory ammo" (they be make'n some top drawer stuff anymore!!) but if a Savage and off the shelf tailor made ammo is doing that I have no doubts that "we" can at a minimum duplicate those results with a little "SAFE and SANE" attention to detail . Safely exceeded factory advertised velocities with both the .204 and the .17 Fire Ball with little to no muss and fuss, (please do not construe that statement as a velocity quest challenge cause it dang sure ain't and I ain't buying no guide dogs for nobody, it just worked out that way ).
I'm sure some a these rifles with be faster than others and some will shoot better than others as well, that's life in the gun world! That aside, I think it's gonna be a great offering!!
For those who missed that article the last time it was posted I thought I'd re-post the link.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/a...del-25-review/

What Boddington is claiming as an average velocity is near exactly a mere 100FPS slower than my working load in my .17 Ackley Hornet and that don't mean nothin.
Kudo's once again to Hornady for not only providing stuff for us small caliber guys but catering to us as well. They have sure "earned" the customer loyalty and commitment I have for them and all their products.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
There is only one powder called Superformance, at least currently. I think Hodgdon is confusing/confounding the issue by marketing their factory ammo called Superformance and the powder that is called Superfomance. They sell a host of factory ammo from 223 to 458WM under the Superformance monicker.

Check out the link.
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...technology.pdf
They state quite clearly in the link you were good enough to post (thanks!) that they are "powders", plural. Sure don't care and it is confusing cause in the ads on their site they also mention this;

" Innovative.
Superformance is a cutting edge technological advancement in ammunition design that transcends convention and achieves the highest performance of any ammunition on the market today."

There they make no mention of powder but only talk of ammunition design, curious??

What I do know from many years of doing this stuff is whether it's "a" powder or "powders", someone else is making it for them (possibly in non-canister grades??) and too they for sure ain't using a powder that gets high velocity in a .17 Hornet and stuffing it into a .300 Win Mag .

Don't matter a lick actually cause once I burn that initial factory stuff and have the brass it'll be roll-your-ownies for happily ever after .
Seems they claimed they had a special powder for the .204 when it first came out as well and I get their "claimed" velocity using 40's and RL10X.
I guess a lotta guys are just better off with straight wildcats were there are zero velocity comparisons to be made.
Thanks again for that thread!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I was at Cabelas earlier this week and they only had 1 Superformance powder and I asked if there were others and they said no. Now....I realize the guys I asked may have been selling copies at Kinko's last week and weren't up to speed. When I asked about the new CFE 223 powder even the self proclaimed GunRoom reloading expert went into a tailspin, very unproductive question and answer session. I attribute that to all the oxygen being sucked out of the atmosphere in the Firearms department. When you hear a salesman tell a guy that the US Military is switching to Savage from Remington for their new Sniper rifles while holding a Axis kit gun, well..........

Larry, I knew you had a 17AH, didn't know you also built a 17HH? Must have been asleep, curious as to what your reasons for the 20" barrel were and details on the rifle.
Chuck, I bought this(well, traded) a couple months ago. I didn't have it built, but may have had a little influence on the build We decided that it was not going to hurt anything having a short barrel, and it is a truck axle, straight 1".

I can't get it to break in, and can't seem to find any combinations that it likes either, yet. I haven't thrown my arms in the air....yet

IMO, the cartridge is enough different from the AH, to keep them safe, and the AH will not chamber in the HH. Unfortunately, the differences are enough, the cartridge is not nearly as efficient as the AH. Brass growth also has to watched a lot closer, it tends to grow.

If I get this figured out, I will let you all know.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Superformance powder is listed between H4831SC and H1000.
"Because this propellent is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works" - Their words.

To say there are a number of powders called SUPERFORMANCE is really stretching things. There is only one and it's a slow burning powder.

There is ammo of different calibres called SUPERFORMANCE (apparently, which is causing problems), but only one slow burning powder with that name. No, it's not what I would call a wise move.

CTGs. listed by them for this powder are:

" .22-250Remington. .243 Winchester and the .300 Winchester Short Magnum. Velocities well in excess of 100fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition" - their words. See Hodgdon's Annual Mannual 2012.

Listed in their data as "Suprform" - it starts in the .22-250 with 60gr. Hornady Vmax with a max vel. of 3,738fps at 60,000psi - well under max. for the round. How do you like THEM apples? or a 70gr. at 3,500fps - 63,700psi - getting up there.

.30/06 - 165gr. Sierra SPBT - 2,972fps - 58,800psi,
-------- 155gr. Sierra HPBT - 3,125fps - 58,800psi
-------- 180gr. Sierra SPBT - 2,840fps - 57,600psi,

.300 Ruger Compact Magnum- 165gr. TSX - 3,126fps - 60,000psi. The other .300 compact Mag data goes to 63,300psi at 200fps slower.

.300 WSM -155gr. Hornady Vmax - 3,405fps - 63,500psi
----------- 165gr. Nos. Partition-- 3,273fps - 63,500psi

.300 Win.Mag. and .300 WTBY- no data listed for "Superform".

Definitely SUPERFORMANCE is only used in slower burning categories, as it's burn rate indicates.

Last edited by Daryl; 06-12-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
Wally,
I would be interested in your load info for 4198.
Is that with H-4198 or IMR 4198. Kenny
Dont know what happened but i posted the load data you requested as soon as i read the post but i dont see it.

Using R&P cases 6.1/2 primers pushing a 20grV/M.

12gr of H4198 got me 3,780ft/sec

12.3gr got me 3,953ft/sec and a sticky bolt.

Wally
Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM

I can see no point in pushing anything above 3300 unless thats where better accuracy is. 17 Hornet in whatever guise is a short ( sub 200 yard) cartridge. Nothing hit at 3300 will want another one given decent placement.

I did read somewhere ( maybe here ?) that Savage were holding 17HH back because of accuracy issues. Most here have good results with N120 in 17 Hornet, how far out are you seating the bullets ?, I personally get about 2 thou off the lands.

A