Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-06-2022, 03:11 AM

Default Got the Winchester 43 Hornet to the range today

All photos are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.

It was windy and I had only 27 Hornady V-max bullets on hand.

I had to poke all except the last case out with my cleaning rod because they were sticking in the chamber just a tad. All I had to do was barely touch them and they came lose. I was concerned about that, the bore is as pristine as could be, but there is a little patch of something in the neck of the chamber that I can’t figure out if it is a spot of corrosion or perhaps dried on oil or grease. The barreled action has been sitting for twenty-five years. I just noticed it the other day when I finally ran patches through it prior to shooting it. I went after it with a 243 bronze brush then looked at it with the bore scope and still don’t know what it is. I am soaking it with Kroil right now and will go after it again tomorrow evening.

I didn’t have any 6 1/2 primers, so I used 205M primers. Loaded five each from 12.0 to 12.8 and then two with 13.0 grains of Lil Gun. The 12.0 grain loads I shot at 25 yards, the first was high left and I moved the cross hairs to the bullet hole then four through the same hole in the center of the dot I made in a piece of butcher paper with a bingo dauber. Then shot the rest at 100 yards.

This is the best 100 yard group today. 12.2 grains of powder:

This is with 12.8 grains, the wind was really giving me problems by then:

Absolutely no pressure signs yet so I really was wanting to see if I could put the two 13.0 grain loads into a tight “group.” I was holding really tight and waiting on the wind:

The very last shot the case ejected perfectly and that made me feel a bit better. Perhaps whatever I was seeing in the chamber neck was dislodged. I went after it pretty aggressively last night with Butches Bore Shine on a brush, JB on a patch, Flitz on a patch, and it and it wasn’t going anywhere. I could see it better with my naked eye than with the bore scope.

It looks as though it may be possible to get a half inch out of this load by playing with the over all loaded length. I use the 205M primers in my CZ Hornet, but Remington 6 1/2 give me better accuracy in everything else. Once I get some more bullets I’ll get busy. All I have in Hornet bullets right now are Nosler and they don’t make them any more. What I have are set aside exclusively for my 218 Bee. As soon as I get my hands on some Sierras and more V max I think I can get it figured out.

It was a pretty tough day to shoot. We had a bench rest match this weekend, I saw a couple world record holders in attendance yesterday and from what I heard this afternoon there weren’t any really good groups turned in.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-06-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

try small pistol primer in your hornet, sometimes it really makes a big difference.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 AM

That is what I have found to be the case too. I meant Remington 1 1/2 when I typed 6 1/2. I have some CCI 500 here, I’ll give them a try once I get bullets. I’ve got some 4227, H110, 4198 and 1680 on hand as well. The chamber and magazine are so short that I doubt it is going to accept any but Hornet specific bullets or maybe Hornady 50 gr spire points.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-06-2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:38 AM

Well, hallelujah! I was downstairs and in behind some other bullets there was a full box of Sierra 45 grain 224 Hornet bullets. If I can take care of the sticky case issues, maybe I can get on some chucks with it next weekend.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:29 PM

Load single shot and play with some longer bullets. Really don't need to shot fast, with a repeater, in a chuck shoot.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:11 PM

It's chambered to accept 45 grain Hornet bullets. The lands are right there. I think the Hornady spire points are more likely than not the only hope for a longer bullet.

I have a lot on my plate if I am going to shoot chucks Saturday and Sunday, but am going to try and load up some of the Sierra 45 grain Hornet bullets and get to the range one evening this week.

The last time I talked with Hornady they had the 35 grain V-max on the production schedule for June or July, so I should have them to play with soon.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:22 PM

Personally, I would go for 40gr VMAX. I have used the 35gr VMAX in my Hornets and they get blown all over the place in any wind at all, especially longer than 100 yds. Both Horandy and Sierra make 40gr and 45gr Hornets specific bullets (or at least they did) work reall well also.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:26 PM

Have to seat them so deep the ogive is way down past the case mouth. That is my go to 22 Hornet bullet in my CZ. 3250 FPS and half inch groups.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:22 PM

That might be a 1-16 twist barrel. Th 40's may not work. I would take a little flitz on a bore mop and a cordless drill to polish the chamber up.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
try small pistol primer in your hornet, sometimes it really makes a big difference.
I have three 22 hornets. All of them prefer sm pistol primers.