Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Pat Cameron's SCN ARicleon the .17Javelina

I really enjoyed Pat's article in the Winter 2006 SCN. The pictures of the landscape brought back many memories as the countryside looks just like my old stomping grounds around North Dorchester and West Nissouri townships, hunting fox, woodchucks, pheasants, grouse, squirrels, cottontails and 'jacks'.
: The jacks (hares) are heavily built animals and I used them to feed my Belguim Sheepdog quite well for 2 winters in a row. He was a great hunting companion when I used the Ruger 10-22. He didn't like the bark of the 6.5mag.
: Thanks for a great article, Pat, wonderful pictures & reinstating memories of past meanderings.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Smile After some of my negative comments on this issue...

... I've finally finished the latest SCN.

I take most of 'em back.

I actually got a kick out of the Dakota article. You'd have to know Todd to appreciate that article fully. Todd is not just a small caliber nut, he is also big time into lovely shotguns. There was a slick pub some years ago called the Shooting Sportsman, or something like that, which was devoted to upland game wing shooting, and the shotguns that went with it. Drake, an auction and gun house, usually had the back cover. The gun was always valued at 50 kilobux or better. Todd would have fit in nicely. All I did was drool. Had a brass winning bird dog at the time. The Dakota 12 is in that vein, and was lovely to look at, even if I'd never think of buying one.

I looked at Steve B.'s article and wondered why anyone would bother. Then I read the article. I use Burris Sig rings to get around that problem, but try finding them for a CZ! Steve didn't miss a blip, and if you read his article several times and followed it exactly, you couldn't help but do it right. Steve, you need to do a "bedding" article. It's one of those things that look pretty easy until you do it, and you find you make every mistake Steve warned about in the ring thing.

Pat's article was just as good, and highlight to me. I sure wish he'd put in more loading data, velocities, etc., but who am I to say that, since I usually find one sweet load and stick with it. At most, I look for a second one.

"The Groundhog Man" is an absolute classic, and reminds me of Corey Ford's Lower Forty stories in Field and Stream. I'll bet most of you guys are too young even to remember him (or Havilla Babcock, either). I sure wish I'd had a chance to hunt with him.

I don't know what I'd do with a bullet better than the 39 gr. Blitzking, so the bullet rant didn't turn me on, but I guess someone has to do it.

So, read that issue again. Pat's article and his pics alone warrant it.

Alex
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Alex,

Not too young for Corey Ford

The Lower Forty Shooting, Angling, and Inside Straight Club. The "minutes" are some of his best work.

Few know that Mr. Ford was also a screen writer in the twenties, thirties, and forties.

"The Groundhog Man" article was nicely done. Hoping my .22 Magnum Cooper shows up in time for the chuck season. Probably will show up in August, mine always seem to take longer.

JB
Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 AM

Default article

Could someone fax me the article on the 17? I bought one a few years ago and have only played with it a little bit.
fax number is
641-858-5087
Atten, Monte
Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Alex,

Thanks for the nice words. As for bedding, That's tough. I'm super detailed in my work, and I think that's why I'm popular with my customers. Many of the things I do are not only based on getting the best possible fit between the action and stock, but also address how things should look. I strive for clean lines and precision inletting. I don't like much of the slop I see in 90% of all the bedding jobs. Most smiths don't want to take the time to clean up all the small details, but I feel it's important.

So, an article on stock bedding from me would be like a book!

steve
book orders: rimfiresteve@yahoo.com
http://www.zediker.com/books/rimfire/rimfiremain.html
Old 01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Smile So, write the book!

I'm not much into rimfires!

Alex
Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve b. View Post
Thanks for the nice words. As for bedding, That's tough. I'm super detailed in my work, and I think that's why I'm popular with my customers. Many of the things I do are not only based on getting the best possible fit between the action and stock, but also address how things should look. I strive for clean lines and precision inletting. I don't like much of the slop I see in 90% of all the bedding jobs. Most smiths don't want to take the time to clean up all the small details, but I feel it's important.

So, an article on stock bedding from me would be like a book!

steve
book orders: rimfiresteve@yahoo.com
http://www.zediker.com/books/rimfire/rimfiremain.html
Sounds perfect! Been looking for a good book on bedding just like you describe. When can we expect delivery.
I'm about a quarter the way thru your "Rimfire" book now so I'll be ready for your "Bedding: book soon.
Larry
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Alex,
Thanks for the kind words. On this rifle and most rifles built with top shelf components, the search for the holy grail of gun powders is greatly reduce. A hummer barrel with a great chamber job is a treasure.
With this rifle I found a GREAT load right from the start. The 19.5gr of H4895 produced good velocity and fantastic accuracy. Most 17 cal cases are in my opinion barrel burners. I feel that by forcing hot combustion gases through such a tiny bore that the throat wear in greatly increased.
If you look at the one photo, it shows 5-5 shot groups that were shot on 5 different days, with a 12X scope off of a harris bi-pod! I don't have the article here to do the math, but I think it will agg around 0.250.
The chance of finding a powder that would shoot BETTER then this was pretty slim and did not warrant the throat erosion that would have taken place.
Like you, I always check out the load development information on any article I read. It is good to weigh (Powder Pun) the findings of another shooter with my own experiences and if I feel the article illustrated that the author knows what he is talking about then it is likely information that I will keep and perhaps use.
I will try and include more of this in future articles. It just didn't work out for this one.
This year I am using a 20 TAC with 25.0 gr of H322 and 35gr berger Match bullets. I am hoping for reasonable performace on both fox and coyote.
If I do an article on this rifle I'll try and include info for other powders. H4895, H4198, H335. We'll see.
Thanks again
Pat