Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-01-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Idea... 17, 20 & 22 Hornets. That would be a good team, for covering a lot of shooting yardage. And being reloadable, just about as cheap, maybe even more so than a 17 WSM. Thoughts ?
All good there, Bill, save for the fact that with any of those offerings, you would still be dealing with thin, weak Hornet brass.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:40 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like this has morphed into a "what is the best cartridge" in what barrel length rifle for this or that. All I'm saying is that for a RF cartridge, the 17 WSM shouldn't be dismissed for what it can do. I too would love to see other options in rifles just for grins. I personally am still looking for a Lo Wall in 17 WSM that comes with a reasonable price with good accuracy, for example. Good accuracy being the key words.

Is it a good long range cartridge? Obviously not....

Will it fill a niche for some people? It did for me as far as RF cartridge performance goes......

Would I take it along for use on long range rock chucks? No, I have far better options that meet the requirements for long range chucks than it would.

Would I use it for 150ish yard range and less on pd's? Yes, but not as a bench gun. For walking around shooting while seated on the ground, it works great for me. That fun began for me the day after I bought my first 17 WSM in SD almost 10 years ago. I also had 4 CF bench guns with me and they all saw use that day from a shooting bench while bouncing longer range pd's.

I could go on and on, but what works for me might not work for the next guy... I have no plans to get rid of any rifle cartridge combinations that I own because I happen to like the 17 WSM. It's a good rim fire option with rim fire limitations.........

Just my thoughts.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-01-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarity.....................
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
All good there, Bill, save for the fact that with any of those offerings, you would still be dealing with thin, weak Hornet brass.
True Rick, but the hornet case is still fun. However more often than not, I move up to my 17 Fireball over my 17 Hornet.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:45 PM

I know the Hornet is not the strongest case, but I have also never had case life issues with it "IF" I don't try to turn it into what it is not. I don't try to squeeze out the last 100 fps that it can produce and only neck size the .22H, and keep loading and shooting. I don't have the target rich environment that Rick does, so I do see where he can find the limit's of the brass that I never will.