Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Default BRNO ZKW 465 double set trigger re-assembly help needed

Question (if anyone can help on reassembling a BRNO ZKW 465 double set trigger in .22 Hornet):

The trigger finger housing has two trigger blades. IRRC, the front one is used to set the rear trigger. You set it by nudging the front trigger forward till it clicks. Somehow, this loads the rear trigger and makes it ready to squeeze.

Inside the trigger guard, midway, front to rear, between the two trigger finger blades there is an upward pointing set screw with a slotted X cut into the head. This set screw screws upward, into the bottom of the trigger housing and appears to be an adjustment for the set trigger blade. (You guys who have one know the screw I'm talking about). Is this screw supposed to have a spring on (inside the housing) so that it loads the set trigger with spring pressure???

Please advise (if you can help me out).

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Jordan

On the set trigger that I mess with years ago(not a Brno), the screw between the triggers was a ajustment screw for the "set" trigger. IN made the weight of pull lighter. There was no spring on that screw.

Hal
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Hi Jordan

I have two ZKW465's so may be able to help...

You have it around the wrong way... on the Brno double set triggers the rear curved trigger is pulled to set the front relatively straight front trigger via a stiff blade spring.

The front trigger is not adjustable in the conventional way and its often unusably creepy and heavy when unset.

The CZ527 trigger is much better in this regard and uses a different single set trigger mechanism which is pushed forward to set it, but can still be adjusted to a reasonably light and crisp release unset.

On the 465 the screw between the trigger blades does indeed adjust the front set trigger release weight. It is often quite loose and needs a bit of Locktite once adjusted correctly to stay put. I'm unaware of a specific spring for this screw, but would need to double check one of my rifles... I think it just rests against a blade spring. Will check.

Basic adjustment is (with the trigger set) is to adjust it IN till the trigger self releases then OUT about half a turn. Set the trigger and bump the rifle (check it is empty of course!!!) a few times on a rubber pad to see if the set trigger is not too light and is robust enough for walk-about hunting.

Cheers

TM
Old 10-06-2014, 02:09 AM

Hal and Tilleyman, thanks so much! Tilleyman, you for the instructions on setting and for clearing up my confusion. Much appreciated--both of you.

Jordan
Old 10-19-2014, 03:03 AM

Default Some additional info Part 1...

Jordan

I've taken photos at different angles to show how the set trigger sub-assembly fits together.

In these shots the rear trigger is unset... when set the lever indicated is pulled flush and clicks into position.

The front trigger tension is controlled via the curved leaf spring and set screw.
When set, my front trigger breaks between 14-16oz.

Rather than email you all these images, I thought I would post them on Saubier just in case others may have assembly problems with their Brno ZKW465... while quite common in Australia and NZ, it seems they are fairly rare in the US!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 AM

Default Some additional info Part 2...

Old 10-19-2014, 03:23 AM

Default Some additional info Part 3...

Anyway... hope this helps with re-assembly, it sounds like you may be missing a part if the rear trigger won't click into the set position properly.

When unset the front trigger is EXTREMELY heavy and pretty much unusable... conversely when set the front trigger is then EXTREMELY light and pretty much unusable when hunting in anything but the most studied and careful conditions

One other issue is the rear trigger makes a loud CLICK when setting the front trigger which will spook nervy game like foxes at close quarters.

While the Brno ZKW465 is a very well made and beautifully finished little rifle there is a reason why the new trigger system was designed for the CZ527... at least it can be adjusted to a good release when unset for snap shots, or pushed forward to set for careful long shots.

Having said that I won't be selling my two ZKW465's anytime soon... but the rifle I use most on small game is my CZ527
Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 AM

More good info from you Tilleyman, good stuff. while on the subject of ZKW465 triggers, has anyone had any luck fitting an after market single trigger ? I have heard that a Timney trigger unit for a Mauser 98 can be "shoehorned" in place, but cant find any more information.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Yes I've also heard a M98 trigger will fit... there's a thread on it with image here:

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173802

Last edited by Tilleyman; 10-19-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Images added...
Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Tilleyman

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words and you've proved that once again.

GREAT photo. What camera are you using? Thanks for posting them.

Hal