Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Up until now, CCI has made all the rimfire ammo for Hornady. So, when this was first announced, they had to be included on the list of possible manufacturers.

It has since been stated by Steve B. that it is Winchester making the ammo for Hornady. Since the 17HM2 debacle, it doesn't surprise me that Hornady is partnering up with Winchester. Especially since Winchester is using Hornady's V-Max bullets in their 17WSM. Besides, Hornady is known for their 17s, so adding the 17WSM to the list only helps that goal (and us, assuming the QC continues to improve.

Eric
Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Since the 17HM2 debacle, it doesn't surprise me that Hornady is partnering up with Winchester.
I haven't had any interest in 17 rimfire before. Could you humor me and provide a short (one sentence, even) summary of the "17 HM2 debacle"?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM

This is good. I just bought a 17 hmr this year and love it. I live in an area that rimfire is one of the only legal safe ways to hunt. If a good gun comes along and ammo has a solid track record for a few years I would probably buy one. Right now locally 17hmr and 17 wsm ammo is the same cost. That bothers me a bit.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Right now locally 17hmr and 17 wsm ammo is the same cost. That bothers me a bit.
A lot more bang for the buck from 17 WSM from what I can glean. I wonder why, and for how long?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 PM

At least locally ammo prices suck. Though a
Slightly available 17 hmr is north of 15-17 dollars. I think these stores Bought it when it was hard to get and it finally reached them to put on the shelves. Now the ammo rush has slowed and they are still expecting to get gouging prices. 22 lr is still impossible to find locally. NY is dumb and communist and won't allow ammo sales online. Forced to buy local.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 10-17-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians356 View Post
I haven't had any interest in 17 rimfire before. Could you humor me and provide a short (one sentence, even) summary of the "17 HM2 debacle"?
Steve B. has a lot of information on what is happening on his page. If you start reading from "The Short Version", then read the updates on the top of the page, you will see how it is playing out. Go ahead and read here: http://www.rrdvegas.com/17-mach-ii.html

All of us 17HM2 shooters are really hoping CCI continues to manufacture this round for Hornady. It is a great little round that is excellent for small game and varmint hunting. Here are some hunt reports, including some with folks from this board: .17 Mach II - A Collection of Hunt Reports

The 17 rimfires are a blast to shoot and everyone should own at least one!

Eric
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM

I can see the added power/velocity over the hmr on a critter the size if a coyote as being an advantage, but still see it as a bit anemic. On a big western coyote i wouldn't be able to make myself shoot one over 100 yrds with it. Maybe it's just my perception, a hang up if you will. Don't get wrong I am a die hard 17 fan for coyotes, but only with centerfires and not with vmax bullets. Maybe they hold up better at 3000 fps and will anchor a coyote, but out of a. 17 rem the results on fur haven't been good. YMMV. I'll stick with the old Berger 25gr match bullets. Do they have plans to release a game point bullet offering like the hmr? That might do well on larger game. For called bobcats it might be ideal. I know quite a few guys that swear by the 22 mag for cats.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:15 AM

Not uncommon here in Pennsylvania to get coyotes 50+ lbs. I'll stick with a centerfire.