Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-20-2014, 01:31 AM
Supporting Member

Default 17 HMR Squib load

On a recent P dog hunt, One of the fellows came back walking over the hill, with a !7 HMR bullet jammed just ahead of the chamber in his rifle.

Lucky for him the bullet lodged in the throat not allowing another round to be chambered, or I'd been driving him to the nearest hospital!

It was one of Hornadys 17gr. V-max.

Has anyone else had any trouble these rounds ?

Jim
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Never. I have not had a single round fail to fire correctly. I have gone through over 10,000 rounds. That is more than some, but not nearly as many as some heavy users.
Burt
Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Supporting Member

Yes, I have had this happen 3 times. All with Hornady but only because that's all I shoot. In each case , luckily it lodged so another round could not be chambered. In a silhouette match I had a rod to clear. Up in a gopher patch I had to drive into Town and a welding shop had a piece of welding rod that saved a great day.
I now carry a piece of brass rod to clear the barrel if it happens again.
None of the ammo was old or poorly stored, this is 3 of 4-5000 fired, pretty low percentage.
Larry

Last edited by Larry; 10-20-2014 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

Its a big problem with the guys in the UK. Apparently, their imported lot of Hornady ammo had quite a few...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM

As MarinePMI says, in the Uk there have been a lot of issues with 17 HMR ammo, split cases, cases with priming compound but no powder (these leaving the bullets just enough into the barrel to prevent another round chambering) and some cases with split necks before being fired.
This problem goes back 3 or 4 years, but I don't know if the same problems exist now.
Does CCI make HMR ammo for several companies?
Regards,Ken.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Haven't heard of it happening here. We only get the good ammo - just as we get ALL of Remington's good brass. Love it.
Lennard and I have gone through perhaps 8,000 between the two of us - never a bobble. We always have our cleaning rods in the truck, regardless. One never knows when a muzzle might get some mud- or whatever. None of this has happened, but having a rod in the truck or on the quad in the gun box is a good precaution to make.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 AM

It happened to me. Savage stainless thumbhole stock 17 HMR and Hornady 17grain red tip ammo.

The case separate right at the base almost as if someone took a razor blade and cut the case. It blew the magazine out of the rifle, damaged the wood in that area, broke one of the extraction claws on the end of the bolt, and some of the hard primer material ended up in my hand. Something blew back and hit a friend of mine behind me. We think that was primer material but who knows. No one was hurt and we were both wearing shooting glasses.

The bullet lodged about half way down the barrel. I was shooting groups so when I didn't see the hole on the paper we were sure it didn't leave the barrel. Had I been shooting rats it could have turned out much worse.

I contacted CCI, who makes all the 17 HMR ammo, along with Savage. Both companies wanted their product for inspection. It was concluded Savage was not at fault, but they determined the rifle was ruined. CCI didn't admit any fault, but they did buy me a new rifle and sent me 4 boxes of ammo. Savage picked me out a really great rifle with an test target that was a small group and a beautiful reddish colored laminate stock. Great service from both companies.

However, after that I was always nervous shooting the new rifle waiting for it to happen again. It never did, but I ended up selling the rifle after less than 200 rounds in favor of keeping my Ruger 17 HMR.