Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Supporting Member

Bob,

This totally makes sense and I suspect is pretty accurate. But...I'm still really pumped up about the 17 Hornet as the perfect <=300 yd walk-about-gopher-gun. Like others referred to...its like having both a HM2 & HMR; a person really probably should have both.

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Anybody out there able to answer the original question? Please.
Ken.
Yea,,,, Like you never stray off topic.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 AM

If I could only have 1 of the 2 it would be the 17FB/M4. Seeing that I'm not limited to that I have one of each plus a 17-222 and since I've got that the 17FB hasn't come out of the safe, but the 17AH has. The reason I like the 17FB over the 17AH (remembering that I could only have one) is it can just reach out a little farther and is better for coyotes. Having said that, I've not had any of the problems of reloading the AH the Bullet Bob has written about and in fact have found it to be actually easier than the FB.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 AM

But a proper 17 AH seats on the sholder just like a 17 FB does. Larry
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Supporting Member

Default well...hmmm...

For one thing the Fireball is only made with Remington brass and it seems to be a bit on the 'too soft' side.
You can forget most of what you hear about the hornet case being 'weak' and 'thin' because in the real world it doesn't much matter according to the thousands of rounds I and several friends here have found with any of about oh, maybe 20 .17 Ackley Hornet rifles that have been barrelled and some taken to Montana's gopher fields for shooting each rifle a thousand times during ground squirrel safari.
I have both rounds [the Mach IV twin to the Fireball]. If I sold one it would probably be the Fireball. It may be the stronger case but it's just not as fun as the 17 Ackley Hornet. I'm not sure why but it has something to do with getting so much velocity with so little powder....and not really having to clean the bore for hundreds [as many as 650 I think it was one trip] of rounds shot!
Headspacing is a matter of correctly forming the case in it's first trip through the 17AH [or HH] FL die. I took tedious care to make sure my rim thickness headspace [17AH] was minimal when fitting my barrels just because. However it doesn't really matter as long as you form the new case's shoulder to fit firmly in whatever chamber you have.
Just pick one and buy it. Sell it if you have to if need be to then buy the other. The fun of these highly efficient smaller case 17s is hard to describe.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 11-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Default Stray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
Yea,,,, Like you never stray off topic.
RePete,

I wasn't criticising anyone for straying, I was just trying to get people to answer mackillans question.
Besides, OT brings some interesting stuff of it's own, and, some good humour to boot.

If there's anyone on this forum that hasn't strayed off topic, be my guest, throw the first stone. Ken.

PS. Or fire the first small cal. volley.

Last edited by kenbro; 11-20-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: PS.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM

TOU,
I think you summed it up when you said, 'Walk about gopher gun'.Anything bigger than a gopher would benefit from a tad more gun. Imo. Very subjective issue.
Ken.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
If I could only have 1 of the 2 it would be the 17FB/M4. Seeing that I'm not limited to that I have one of each plus a 17-222 and since I've got that the 17FB hasn't come out of the safe, but the 17AH has.
Wow that is interesting. It really does seem like the 17 AH is one of the most popular calibers ever, here on Saubier.

I have to tell you, Jim, that your 17-222 also sounds really interesting. Heck, you had me searching and reading quite a bit about it last evening. Sounds like a pretty efficient, relatively trouble free and enjoyable round to shoot.

Hmmm..sorry, not to get too off topic but I recently picked up a second Brno ZBK-110 (.222) in like new shape for $275. Against my usual..."never-alter-an-original-Brno-unless-abused" rule and since I got it so cheap, my intent was on doing something different with it eventually. Being a break barrel single shot, I had thought it might be a good candidate for Dan C's rimmed 20 Killer Bee, (just something really cool about those little Bee's) but...your 17-222 sounds pretty interesting to. (Either way it would be different.) Won't be for a while I imagine, as I'm just in my beginning stages of thought on the project...not even sure if it will work yet or when I want to do it. (I.E. let my kids shoot it as a 222 for a while.) Something to think about, thats for sure...

Quote:
The reason I like the 17FB over the 17AH (remembering that I could only have one) is it can just reach out a little farther and is better for coyotes.
Based on that premise, I am right there with you Jim for the same reasons. Thankfully that is not true for many of us here on Saubier eh? Just curious, how far do you feel comfortable taking coyotes with your 17 AH? 17 FB?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 11-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
Just pick one and buy it. Sell it if you have to if need be to then buy the other.
I had a good chuckle on this Alan...this does seem so Saubier'esque with all the mentoring going on here. LOL Good thing my wife has not figured out that my time on here is not jut about education.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Besides, OT brings some interesting stuff of it's own, and, some good humour to boot.

If there's anyone on this forum that hasn't strayed off topic, be my guest, throw the first stone. Ken.

PS. Or fire the first small cal. volley.
LOL Yeah...but I've liked this thread and it's slight deviations. The deviations do seem to come back...eventually...most of the time. Either way and either direction it goes, folks seem to learn lots...least I do.

Quote:
TOU,
I think you summed it up when you said, 'Walk about gopher gun'.Anything bigger than a gopher would benefit from a tad more gun.
Thx Ken, that's really what I want it for personally & I agree that the bigger stuff could benefit from more oomph. But man...for the little powder used, this little Hornet seems ideal for this application.

I would also add that, for me, it being a more turn key rifle/caliber offering is intriguing as well. Its high efficiency & being something that I could load for near the price of HMR...but with greater reach and destructiveness seems pretty awesome too. (But admittedly, that's probably nearly all true of the 17 FB too.) The potential ability to have consecutive shot after shot with out as much barrel heat seems to be another plus. Yep...I think I am re-selling my self on it.

I have to say though, I would think that badgers & coyotes would seem to be doable at reasonable distances though, no? Say...<200 yards? 250?

For those of you shooting those big Eastern ground hogs, how far are you shooting them and still getting bang-flops?

Those shooting Foxes?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Imo. Very subjective issue.
Yep...I think so. I'm guessing the reality of much of what we discuss hear in regards to small calibers has a pretty subjective element to it. I really do like to read all the post though, as you all have decades more experience than I do. Maybe one of these years...decdes I will catch up. Until then...thanks for putting up with me and mentoring my sometimes dense mind.

Take care,

Ken

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO