Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info provided, but I wanted to know how long the threaed section was on the barrel itself. Seems to me the threads on the barrel, for the nut to work, would need to be some length longer than the receiver's threads. Much would depend on how much was removed from the front of the action when truing it, of course, but I thought the action threads were longer than 1/2" themselves.

Just measured mine- .560". If .060" was removed from the action for truing, the action and barrel woud thread into the action, .5". In order for the "Nut" to work, the barrel would need more than .5" of theads, ie: 3/4" for 1/4" of thread engagement of the nut, outside the receiver, for instance. I was just wondering how long the threaded section on a typlical Savage-type system barrel was.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 AM

sinarms,that is a good looking project you got there.
by the way....what brand of lathe do you have? i'm just researching now on one for myself.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 AM

Daryl I need to break it apart again and check all of the measurements to make sure everything is right but the nut doesn't have threads the whole way, I used a boring bar and removed the threads on the last half of the nut so it could float over the barrel like a savage. I also did this to a model 70 too.

Turbocat, I use a Grizzly g4003g, it works pretty good I must say, hard to match it for the price.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 AM

Rain and snow finally stopped, shot a couple acceptable groups from the ammo I had left over, took a jack rabbit our also (bonus haha). As i figured it would get under 1/2" groups.

This is the first group, low shot was from the cold barrel the other 4 are together. Measured outside to outside so you can subtract .224" from the caliper to get group size. The jack rabbit didn't much care for the 50gr vmax at 2935fps

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Not too shabby for a pencil barrel carry rifle. Is that those 50gr soft points?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM

James, those are 50gr Vmax, they print about the same group as the Speer TNT 50gr Hps