Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Default subsonic and powders

good day all...i was reading about the 300 whisper which reminded me of the load data james calhoon sent with my .19 badger. his 32gr pills with15.6 gr of aa1680 gives a velocity of 3565 fps. another recipe was 32gr bullet with 5.5gr of blue dot giving 1950 fps...a considerable speed cut with just powder.
now the question: would it be possible to take an off the shelf 30.06 bolt gun,a 220 gr bullet,and use a powder to slow it to sub-sonic to use with a surpressor?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 PM

It is done all the time for the 308. Sub sonic 220g smks as well as the 175 SMKs.

Here's some random info from another board. 100% uninvestigated, may blow up cartoon style, so I'd research it for yourself.

Quote:
The 30-06 case is large for doing S/S rd but with a long bullet seated deep and using trail boss you can over come that very easy. It's nice to have a few sub loads with you, when your out an about. Any caliber can be done in subs, if you think out of the box.

11.5-12.0 grs of Trail Boss depending, speed of sound vs mother your AO
208 Amax
OAL 3.225
Winchester LR primer
Primer flash hole drilled out to 7/64 an cone'd inside.
Gives me sub moa w/o issue in a std 10 twist, 22" pencil barrel 700 Remington
The flash hole bit scares me, I would not mess with it myself. But looks like it can be done.

Last edited by AKmik; 02-26-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Never been around a suppresor but, I've loaded and fired a great many cast 115gr RN's
in my '06 and 4-5gr Red Dot.
It's a great quiet, very accurate load that I used to teach lots of women & kids how to shoot the big gun w/o harm until the indoor pistol range shut centerfire rifle's down in there. Seems someone saw me doing it, so he blew a bunch of hole's thru the backstop with full powered loads when no one was around. Also, resulted in camera's everywhere in there too.

Some yrs ago one of the CMP shooters used 150-165gr cast with around 15gr Red Dot and was the top scorer at most of the match's til he moved back east for a job. IF you try it, start low and work up, or get some data from the powder companies. What I got away with might not work for you.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 02-27-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: ending
Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

hey, guys. thanks for the info and leads.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Supporting Member

4895 works well for somewhat reduced loads. For truly sub-sonic, I have started using Trail Boss almost exclusivley. Quiet, accurate and even if you could manage a double charge you won't be in any trouble., i.e you are using only 5 grains in a 308 to get the slow speed you are looking for, 10 grains is still no problem. Pretty much any rifle cartridge can handle a cse full without causing an over pressure situation. That is NOT true for Blue or Red dot and most other popular slow load powders.