Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-26-2018, 03:00 AM

Default 5.7 Johnson / .22 Spitfire

I never did a search to see if this has been discussed before, but if it has, please forgive me!

Going through some of my reamers today, I pulled out a 20 year old 5.7 Johnson / .22 Spitfire reamer that I HAVE NEVER USED!!!

Do any of you guys have any experience with this cartridge?

Since I shoot a T/C Contender, I was thinking about either ordering a 22 magnum barrel and rechambering it to the 5.7 Johnson, or doing a barrel stub with a bull barrel...

Custom dies are not too bad, and 30 carbine brass is $39 per hundred, and loaded ammo is right at $50 for 50 rounds...

Surely some of you guys have played around with this cartridge, so if you would, please give me your thoughts in it.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 AM
Supporting Member

David,

Ive been down this road and love the cartridge. Firstly what make is your reamer? JGS & Manson are both 28* shoulder where as PTG is 22* My RCBS dies were 28* and I believe Redding are the same. This was the shoulder of the original design I think I may still have a reamer print I can scan and send to you

Johno

Last edited by johno; 04-27-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

David:
Sell you a couple hundred carbine cases
maybe more if you want 'em. Polished,
decapped and sized, ready to form.

PM or e'm if interested

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 PM

Johno,

after seeing a spec sheet for my reamer, it actually has a 30 degree shoulder angle!

After looking through some of my long lost reloading "stuff", I found 5,000 pieces of new W-W 30-30 Winchester brass, I believe I am going to build a barrel and chamber it for one of my 30-30 based wildcat cartridges. Now, the only problem it trying to decide on the caliber and overall case length!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

I would be interested in buying the reamer when you are done with it David

Johno
Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 PM

Johno,

I traced this reamer back as far as I could, and like I said, it has never been used. It is from Mr. Johnsons original print, and the reamer is at least 40 years old. I do not have a print sheet from that far back, and neither does the reamer manufacturer...

As bad as I want to rechamber a .22 magnum with this reamer, I believe I am going to go ahead and stick with my .22 caliber wildcat based of the 30-30 case...

If you still want this reamer, I'll take a hundred dollar bill for it. Priority mail is about $8...

Last edited by DAVID; 04-27-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

pm sent David

Johno
Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 AM

I am watching you John.

A word of caution for anyone who may be thinking of doing a 5.7 Johnson on a 22Hornet chambered barrel/rifle, make sure you get the bloke doing the job to cut off a couple of threads and then do the re-chamber. A 22 Hornet chamber is longer than a 5.7 J, and if you dont cut off a thread or two you will end up with a chamber with a massive free bore, I had an old Brno ZKW465 that did not have the threads cut off and I could put a projectile in the chamber, chamber a case and shake the rifle up and down and could hear the projectile rattling in the throat. Mind you, it shot pretty well for a 1965 year barrel, around the 3/4 inch mark with Sierra 40gn Blitzking projectiles.

I am thinking of buying the rifle back off the fella who I sold it to, its a nifty little bit of gear.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Supporting Member

ï'm thinking of buying the rifle back" lol
You have been drinking your bath water again;

Just waiting to hear back from David to find out reamer measurements and maker

Johno