Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM

Human beings are pigs. Have been and will continue to be.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Can I give it up to my Boy Scouts. Took 16 of them on a summer camp last week. We started our week with a 4 hour service project as part of our Duty To God day. Second day we spent from 10am to 4:30pm at a private gun range I had made arrangements to shoot at. From there it was on to Moab and the La Sal mountains and then the Colorado river. Fun Week. Everywhere we went we practiced "leave no Trace" and "Tread Lightly". We didn't just pick up our own garbage, but picked up everyone elses as well. I got a few comments like "that's not our trash." So What, pick it up anyway. It didn't take them long to learn that we leave a place better than we found it (if possible). In the end, everything was clean but my car -- Does anyone know how to get melted gummi bears out of carpet? I was very proud of them, but you have to be intentional in the way that you teach this stuff. Next time you are at the range, walk over to someone else and talk with them. Tell them they need to pick up their shell casings, targets and trash. Offer to do it with them. When they show up at a range that has trash, they will say - that's not our trash. Worse, they will assume that it is OK to leave trash because "everyone else" has. Trash begets trash. WE could probably do a better job of teaching others how to care for our gun places. Just my $0.02. Burt

Last edited by bburrell; 07-17-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 PM

I take all my Wal-Mart bags, and stuff them under my truck seats. Every time I go to the local private/public shooting/hunting places I hang out in I pick up most of the trash I find. Started doing this years ago bowfishing at the local holes and it actually becomes a habit after awhile that I wish I didn't have to do....but sometimes you find some nice stuff our fellow "sportsman" or whatever you wanna' call them lose, i. e. one guys trash is another's treasure.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 PM

Often thought of making a bumper sticker that goes like this--"Adopt a lake and ranch litter control program".
Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 AM

I haven't been to a public range or shooting area in a decade. I've got a 100 yard range in my yard now, and obviously it gets taken care of. When I want to shoot farther, I go to my neighbors gravel pit which gets me to 800. The pit is frequently used by kids that have bonfires and burn nail filled boards as well as smashing bottles in the fire. I frequently take my tractor down there and dig a hole out of the way that won't be opened for gravel purposes, and bury the remains of the fire pit. I've also found idiots that set up a bunch of beer bottles for target practice at 300 yards and thankfully they couldn't hit them and left them intact.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 AM

It sure is pathetic around here as well. Can't get away from idiots and boorish littering scumbags!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 AM

I have some land in the mountains. It wasn’t gated until we got trash from homes in the town nearby, mattresses and a old car body. I didn’t mind having the land accessible to others, but I’m not willing to spend my weekends dealing with the garbage.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:01 AM
Supporting Member

Well it aint unique to your neck of the woods, over here in the mountains where I have an old farm house there is a small picnic ground on a lovely stream. Last year some blokes not only left all their rubbish but the remains of two deer.

But that aint all, they pinched the bloody picnic table set up that the local council put in place lots of elderly and disabled people use to be taken here for a nice break Yes the seats and table were concreted into the ground now that shows determination

Johno
Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 AM

BLM Area near here was shut down a year ago because some dippo was shooting armor piercing in his AR and set the area on fire. BLM manager did't like the shooting anyway and the fire provided the excuse to shut the ares down..
Didn't bother me because I have private property to shoot on but it certainly screwed the unattached person.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Used to be quite a few areas open for anyone to use out in the public lands.
Most have been shut down over trash and problems.

Our club bought several porta potties and set them around.
Didn't take long til some A/H shot at least 3 of 'em full of holes.

Range is quite well kept up. Now we've got a "range cop" that's out there
early and stays late from what I have seen. He's a royal PITA, I've been
shooting with the truck blocking access and he's walked around the truck almost into my line of fire several times. Spooky when I'v'e just about been ready to pull the trigger on a big bore. I know full well if he got hit, or muzzle blast there'd be hell to pay. No reason he couldn't come around the safe side.

I haven't seen him do it myself, but, have been told he sets up on the hill with binoc's watching folks to see if they'll shoot the steel knockdown plates with a center fire rifle.

I haven't been out in over two years now, sure need to get out there. My next range session is going to cost about $300!! Used to go several times most weeks. It's 13 miles from home.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"