Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Default .22 Dog medicine for AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
I stay away from tipped bullets for hunting with the ar. I like the Hornady 50 gr SX or the Speer 52 hp. Both of these will give you more seating adjustment, no tip using up mag clearance. I have shot coyote,Fox and coon with both these bullets out of my 1/9 bushmaster, I shoot for hides,of the two the SX is my favorite in the 223. Blackhills ammo is still available with the Speer bullet if you want to try them without or unable to reload. Although for the Speer bullet, I like them starting out more at 22-250 velocity. I have a couple of suppressors waiting on the gov and I'm torn between using my 204r or the bushy for night calling. I tend to call near cattails and the coyote must be drt at night, I think the SX is more reliable bullet especially inside 200 yards which is my max at night(lights not legal for rifles here,no night vision at all).
Interesting re: your statement to stay away from tipped bullets, when military and so many others use them, so that they do function and cycle for reliability in the AR's. I know you are pointing out the bullet setting ability in the magazine, for part of your reasoning, but I have found very accurate loads and reliable feeding with a couple of tipped bullets and they work just fine on anything I shoot with the AR's, in both 5.56 and 224 Valkyrie. Bill K
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM

I would try the new Frontier 55 grain hp. I am assuming your AR is a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel. These are fairly accurate in my AR's and I have seen them for less than $7 a box of 20. The 55hp is not as violent as a Vmax, but still expands well.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Supporting Member

Jon,

If you are not trying to save hides, I would look at it from an accuracy and reliability stand point. Almost anything you launch out of a 223 will knock a dog over, possibly with the exception of some highly frangible bullets connecting on bone upon entry. That being said, spitzers and hollow points would be the direction I would lean, looking at what bullet the rifle likes. If I were trying to save hides I would try bullets designed for the 22 Hornet.

Aaron
Old 08-16-2018, 07:37 PM

My answer was based on terminal bullet performance, and bit about loading for accuracy not functionality. I have loaded a lot of tipped and traditional style bullets for my ar, never had a function issue with any. Function issues in ar is more often brass prep related or magazine problems.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Question on the Speers: Are these the 52gr HP with the large HP opening? My 22-250 seems to leave lead spray marks on the target as if they are vaporizing. The 223 shoots them well but they do hang on feeding if the bolt is worked sissy like.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Yes the Speer 52 with the large hp.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
Yes the Speer 52 with the large hp.
Maybe I should throttle back a bit.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Sierra 1365
A well known coyote killer.
I also like the 60gr VMAX
Old 08-18-2018, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

Also good. Tony Tebbe's favorite.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Have used a number of bullets out of my 9T AR over the years for coyotes. My setup though is a bit different in that I have a couple of the old DPMS VLD magazines. Best bullet I ever shot out of it for accuracy was the 65 JLK Low Drag. Unfortunately wasn't good terminally. My favorites are the 65 SGK, and the 69 TMK. Have some new 60 TMK's now and intend to give them a try this fur season coming. Betting they'll be fantastic for that application.