Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 PM

a .256 win mag or 6mm win mag would be a good alternative if 357 brass is plentiful
Old 08-16-2018, 12:25 AM

Default 6mm hornet or 6mm K hornet

Firstly I would like to thank you all together for valuable information you gave me.
Yes the Hornet brass is thin and opening up the neck would make it even thinner.
It can be done but inserting the bullet into the casing becomes critical unless you have a precision inserter --Wilson type--
I think that a rational choice can be the 221 R.Fireball necked up to 6 mm, and that is the 6mm Whisper.
I had thought to the 270 REN but the .277 caliber has a small choice of bullets than the 6 mm.
It is also for safety reasons to avoid as much as possible the bounces so frequent when the bullet is heavy and slow (I have used the 45-70 GVT for more than 30 yrs--the best and funniest caliber in the world-- and during the winter when the ground is frozen the bounces are frequent).
So a .243 55 grs bullet with the speed obtainable in the 221RF (you don"t have to get to the top speed) can be used for ordinary shooting and 100-115 grs bullets for subsonic shooting, when the shooting angle allows a safe shoot.
I think the noise is not so much because the powder, in the fireball, is half, if i remember, that of the 6ppc, and this last does not make an excessive noise.
In the past years you could shoot outdoors, not for hunting, here in Italy without any major problems.
Now things have changed for the worse and by us the sound moderators are not allowed, so is better not to do a big noise.
After all the 22lr is the most used round in the world and one of the reasons is the low sound generated.
By the way the 221 RFireball is also produced by lapua.
I will write to SSK industries to get what i need through an authorized italian gun shop (I hope)
Again thank you.
Fabrizio
Old 08-18-2018, 02:59 PM

It is ironic that a member here currently has a Winchester M43 rifle for sale in 25-20.

That little cartridge would be just about the cat's meow for what Fabrizio is looking for. jd
Old 08-18-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Numero Uno

#1). There was a gunsmith named Mr. Parker Ackley. He wrote a two volume set of books encompassing all the wildcats of his era, 1890s thru 1970s. He has been gone couple decades now. This is the Bible for research.
#2). As you seem to know, the Hornet was originally a black powder cartridge and the brass is not calculated for smokeless pressures, little thin and the reason for the K improvement to begin, more powder, more velocity without too much pressure for the guns designed for the Hornet pressures. Better headspace too. For long case life the much newer .222 family including the 221and 223, much sturdier brass. Any pressure level. But rimless.
#3). As suggested, the .256 WCF which is made on the .38 special/.357 Magnum case is also a much sturdier case. And rimmed like the Hornet. Bit larger in diameter. .32 Magnum stronger case, smaller diameter. I would guess the .357 might be available on the continent. The newer .32 magnums? I doubt. Form dies for making the .256 from .357s are available. From .38s a bit short.
Best of luck. The book Gun Digest has had a directory in the back of possible sources of forming dies and gunsmithing. It is simple machine work, US gov. requires a license or any machine shop can do it.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm k hornet View Post
Hello, I am from Italy and I am interested in this small caliber, the 6mm on the hornet case, because here in Italy we are not allowed to hunt with a .22 cal round if the case is less than 40 mm long (we are also not allowed to hunt with the 22lr, but this is another story!). In Europe the 22 hornet is well known and used, so my thoughts is simple : a 6mm Hornet, or, probably, a 6mm K hornet. The need is for a short range round with good accuracy and low report. I have read that Mr Bill Oviatt has a nice experience with this wildcat, so can I contact Mr Oviatt ?
My request is everything is known about this wildcat, and... reamers, or , with the best luck, a complete rifle to buy through an authorized italian store.
I heartily thank those who answer.
Could or would you be interested in the 357 Maxima ? That is being put into rifles, most of them single shot and it is a very good cartridge, will handle deer sized animals very nicely. Do some reserch/google on it. It might be one you are looking for. Bill K