Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Default Bullet performance in very short barrels....

A friend and I were discussing the performance of two small pistols. One a Taurus 22 LR with a 2 inch barrel. The other a Beretta 22 Short with a 2 inch barrel. I have read (somewhere, through the years) and heard that a 22LR and a Short, with the same sized bullets, would actually perform the same from such a short barrel (2 inch) because neither has a chance to burn all the powder before the bullet is gone from the barrel.
I would be interested in other thoughts & opinions and any direction to published tests on this subject.
TIA,
Bill
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM

here are the results i got from my baretta bobcat,10 shots at 10 feet:

32gr. stinger.......................................avg. 888 ft
29gr. rem. golden bullet short................avg. 766 ft
40gr. mini-mag....................................avg. 838
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 AM

Hey TC, Maybe you could shoot some 22 Shorts (single shot) through you Bobcat and compare the velocities to your 22LR!
I would really be interested in your findings!!!
Bill
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

bill, of the three tests above, the 29gr. rem. golden bullet is the .22 short, and the mini-mag is the .22lr. the mini-mag is just marginally faster than rem. and federal bulk .22lr. i don't have available to me a .22 short and a .22lr of the same bullet weight.
there sure is a noticeable difference, at night, between the stingers and the .22 shorts.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Also, some of the CCI shorts are labeled HV. That might make it even more interesting.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Looks to me that there is still a traditional increase as powder capacity is increased. In other words, the LR still is faster than the Short, even if there is a discrepancy of incomplete powder burning. The short barrel still has time to make a difference in velocity between the rounds, at least that is what I infer this from your figures.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Supporting Member

That or it's the difference in the priming compound (the amount) between the two cases.

Just a thought...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

I'm guessing that even in 2" it is still accelerating in proportion to the powder charge behind it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

The important issue is terminal performance. With that in mind it's apparent that in a self defense situation which is obviously the only purpose of a 2 inch barreled .22 hand gun the following is abundantly clear.
Where a .22 short will certainly tick off an aggressor wearing a thick jacket and drug induced bad intentions. A .22 long rifle will "REALLY" tick em off good! ......!!!
I think a guy might be well served by wearing a good pair of Adidas "adiSTAR Salvation's" instead, the name on em is appropriate as well .
That said this little fella with a 3 inch barrel always goes with me on river floats with 8 Federal HP's in it.

At least it's a lot more accurate than the little Beretta Bobcat I got hanging around here somewhere and where the Beretta is ammo picky the Smith always goes off when ya pull the trigger.
Next time I go to the range I'm gonna take both and see what the velocity difference is in that 1 inch of barrel.