Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Supporting Member

Default CZ .204Ruger Load Question

Guys,

Are you finding that loading longer than mag length is necessary for best accuracy?

MQ1

Opps...I should have posted this one the "load" discussion area of the forum...

Last edited by MQ1; 04-09-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: stupidity
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Supporting Member

Nope. You'll never get to the lands anyway. I also have an AR in .204 so I load them all to fit the AR (2.255) and they're plenty accurate.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

I can't reach the lands of my Remington factory barrel either, no matter how far out or which bullet I use. This is a very common complaint in factory chambered 204s. It still shoots in the .3s quite easily but I would be curious as to what I guy could accomplish if he could actually get to the lands.

This is the only rifle I have ever had that I cannot seat far enough out to touch. Many of my other guns shoot best .005-.01 off the lands but this 204 is at least .3 off, and while that may be SAMMI spec that is pretty darn sloppy oin my mind. What the heck though, shoots fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Supporting Member

Ditto on what Dean said. My factory barreled 204R in a 700 Rem is in the same ball park as Deans. At least .250 from the rifling. Mine will shoot in the same group size as Deans if I can do my part. I simply load mine at recommended max length out of the book. All that freebore doesn't seem to effect accuracy.

Aaron
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM

The problem with long 'throated' chambers in my way of thinking, is seemingly premature wearout of the tube. The long jump makes a bit of throat wear seem enormous, where seating the bullet out further is not an option, therefor accuracy goes 'south' before the barrel throat is truely worn out.

Best to have your own reamer made up and re-chamber all .204's even before shooting them. Setting a barrel back 1/10" or 2/10" & re-chambering is easily accomplished by any one with a lathe.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Supporting Member

Looking at this from a different perspective, this accellerates the process to getting a quality barrel screwed on the action.

Aaron
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default Daryl: Question

Daryl: what are the details on the kind of reamer you'd recommend, and who would you suggest would be a good supplier? I'd expect there are some options out there......thanks. George
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM

i shoot an xp-100 in 204,a single shot, that i have to load so far out that it's on "tippy toes". i can touch the lands with sierra's 39 gr, but just barely. the o.a.l. is 2.506, which leaves about 0.085 in the neck. this has been a picky eater from day one. the 39gr sierra's are the only thing this gun will shoot. i've tried various setting depths until they fell in the case. it was so bad, that i would only load two rounds during load testing. two inches was normal at 100yds. factory loads were equally as bad. as long as these 39's are available,i'm happy. i've shot several 1/4in groups with this bullet.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I have two CZ's in 204 and I load to fit the magazine and accuracy is very good. The sporter weight American shoots pretty close to 1/2" groups and the varmint weight one will shoot 3/8" consistantly. In fact, I've loaded close to the lands where I could only load singles and really didn't notice much difference.