Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 09-25-2016, 11:57 PM

Default Body die

I have a few 17 Mach IV cases that chamber a little hard (takes more effort the close bolt). I tried using the full length die to bump the should back a little but they still close hard. Should look into getting a body die?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 AM

Default 17 mk4

might also check brass length.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l h jenkins View Post
+1 on the length, plus check the size near the bottom, have had a few that I had to hit with a small base die before.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l h jenkins View Post
The case length is fine (1.395). From what I've been reading, I could possibly use a bushing FL die or bump die to push the shoulder back a few thousandth. I use Wilson dies so I don't see spending the money for a FL bushing die. I guess ordering the bump/body die makes more sense.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Default Body Die

Phillip, Correct me if wrong, but would not the Wilson sizing die, if it is down and touching the shell holder, on the upper stroke of your press, be also pushing the shoulder back the amount you are looking for ? Bill K
Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Phillip, Correct me if wrong, but would not the Wilson sizing die, if it is down and touching the shell holder, on the upper stroke of your press, be also pushing the shoulder back the amount you are looking for ? Bill K
My Wilson bushing die only resizes the neck.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold M View Post
Could you clarify - are you using a FL die or a Neck Only die? If you happen to be using a "neck only" die, FL sizing could help with either a FL die, or a body die.. I have had to do this using a FL die, on my over-the-course .308 when I was still using a neck die. it worked well enough to make rapid fire with the bolt gun relatively easy.

If you've determined you DO size so as to bump the shoulder maybe a mil, and have tried some sort of FL die that moved the body in maybe a half a thousandth, and the OAL is OK, the problem most likely is the expansion of the web and head where the die doesn't do any sizing. This has been what I have experienced on cases repeatedly used with sporty loads. There is a tool that's not all that common - the entire case is forced through it so as to swage the head down to an acceptable diameter. I can't recall what it's called, and haven't used one. A pistol shooter friend has used them.

Generally when cases cause a click or worse, on my ppc, I retire the cases.

Also, I use "custom" dies like the Harrell ones, which do a minimum of body sizing. These are made specifically for the chamber used, and because they size the body a minimum, help with case life. But when the cases no longer function as I'd like, it's time to retire them.

Harold
Yes, seem to recall that Harrell makes custom body die that I used with my 6PPC cases. I think you just need to send 2-3 fired cases into Harrell. The problem you described about them expansion in the web and head area could very well be my problem.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM

I have a cold right now, so maybe the brain is not functioning like it should...

In post #1, it sounds like you are FL sizing. In post #7, you state that a neck die is being used.

If your brass length is good, the first thing to try is bumping the shoulder back. A neck-only die will not do that for you.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 PM

If you have a .223 Rem, .222 Rem, .221FB full length sizing die on hand, you might try taking the guts out of the die and running your cases up in any of those. I think a .223 small base would work for sure, but the others might as well.

When I had this situation arise with any of the calibers I've toyed with, the problem was more with the base of the case than the shoulder. but I would never say that's an absolute.