Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 PM

Default 20-222

Ok I would guess this has come up before, but I'm struggling to get a handle on this problem. I'm using new 222 WW brass. I've run it through a Redding bushing die down to 0.226 with a neck button of 0.2025. The outside measurement on some of the brass is around 0.227 after resizing and the button pulled out with minimum resistance. On others outside measurement is 0.228 and the button was very tight coming out. I don't have any way to measure the thickness of the neck brass, but darn well believe that it's way to thick. I can neck turn but I don't know if that's what I need to do or should I get a inside reamer and remove excess from the inside. I would like to get some advice before screwing up any new brass. Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Default 20-222

Since you don't have a ball Mic you can seat a bullet in each of those cases and measure the outside and it will give you the thickness of the brass. The other thing that makes it hard to pull out the sizing ball is the hardness of the brass and or lack of lubricant. Seeing how its brand new you would think they would all be the same.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 PM

Default 20-222

You can measure the neck thickness with your digital caliber, if you do not have a ball caliber. You are probably on the right track, with those necks being thicker on some, not unusual when necking brass down. Bill K
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default size

What is the size of your chamber? As mentioned seating a bullet and measuring the diameter will give you your neck thickness. I ran into some of the same issues on my 20-222 using Rem brass. I could have turned them down but the rifle was shooting .5's so I left it alone.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Not sure what the neck measures. I didn't get a blueprint from the smith. I do know that if the neck measures 0.232 with a bullet seated it won't chamber. if it's over 0.229 /0.230 it will chamber an fire but you have to wait several seconds for it to eject. Not good, I know it's got to be spiking pressures.
I haven't ever tried to inside ream before. What I've read is that the suggestion is to ream after fire forming, but I'm thinking I need to do this before fire forming. An knowledge from the experienced would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-08-2017, 01:44 AM

Inside neck reaming needs to be done on fired cases. Given your issue, you may need to lightly turn your necks to facilitate chambering, then neck turn them for uniformity after firing. JMO based on what's been posted.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 AM
Supporting Member

Default sizing

You probably have a 232 neck, that seems to be the most common, that's what mine is. One thing is for sure, your just guessing until you know. Usually a fired case will measure approx 1 thou less than the chamber. I sure wouldn't mess with inside neck reaming. I use a K&M neck turner with a sizing mandrel. I would think you could take a case and turn it until you clean up the neck. Seat a bullet and measure, repeat until you get 2-3 thou less than the chamber.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 PM

Ok, I'm messing with a few cases I've necked down. I thought that I would go ahead and turn the necks to 0.226. The neck turning pilot measures 0.2024 and it won't enter the case worth beans. I applied some muscle and walked it in about half way. When I looked back inside the neck you can see a ring of brass. So I'm sure I need to remove the excess from inside the case before I try loading. Ordered a Forster neck trimer from Brownell this afternoon. We'll see what happen next.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default mandrel??

Do you have a sizing mandrel? You sized the case down, skipped the step where you uniform the inside of the neck to fit the pilot, and then forced a bullet down the undersized neck?

You size it, uniform the neck with the mandrel, then turn it until it cleans up the neck. If the inside is not a perfect match for the pilot the case will wobble, hence the sizing mandrel. Now you have a case with uniform neck thickness. Seat a bullet and measure, from there determine your next step. Inside neck reaming is for removing a donut or abnormalities in wall thickness like a taper.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Do you have a sizing mandrel? You sized the case down, skipped the step where you uniform the inside of the neck to fit the pilot, and then forced a bullet down the undersized neck?

You size it, uniform the neck with the mandrel, then turn it until it cleans up the neck. If the inside is not a perfect match for the pilot the case will wobble, hence the sizing mandrel. Now you have a case with uniform neck thickness. Seat a bullet and measure, from there determine your next step. Inside neck reaming is for removing a donut or abnormalities in wall thickness like a taper.
Yup^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^