Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Default Savages .17 WSM Rifle - First Look...

Read this...

http://www.varminter.com/new-savage-...-super-magnum/
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM

I like the concept of the 17wsm, appreciate that savage is always the first to chamber for new rounds and that my Savage 93 is one of my favorite rifles, but boy do they build a homely rifle! That Savage B-mag might be the best looking of the bunch, but it is still homely. The 5mm crowd should be happy, they are just a screw in barrel away from happiness.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I gotta agree Qaz. Out of their whole entire lineup, I think there's only one or two rifles they make that actually look good...the new lightweight hunter and the predator camo models (everything looks better in camo). Did ya ever see the new O/U rifle/shotgun combos? Has to be the ugliest gun on the market. If Savage engineers would design something a little more classy looking...more fit and trim, they'd REALLY fly off the shelves.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Supporting Member

I wonder if the bolt heads are swappable? Might make an interesting 5mm Craig and 5mm RemMag combo...

Savage rifles can be pretty homely...but the way they typically shoot, makes their looks grow on you after a while.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM

I just received a flyer from Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield Pa that has an ad for the Savage Model 17. They are taking $50 deposits on it for a May 2013 delivery. If anyone's interested............814-765-9273, sales@gricegunshop.com, www.gricegunshop.com................they are also listing ammo at approximately $14.99/box of 50
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Shot one

I am at SHOT now and went to the media day at the range on Monday. I was able to shoot the new 17 WSM while there. The prototype rifle that they had was a Savage with a rotary magazine that would not feed properly when loaded with more than one round. I shot it a number of times at some bowling pins that were swinging in the wind (25 mph+) and was able to bust one up. The round seems pretty potent. I spoke to the engineer that designed it while there and he says that it should be ready to ship in the 2nd quarter of this year. They are listing 3 types of ammunition for it currently. I've got some pictures of it and some spent shell casings to post for comparison when I get home.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Supporting Member

Tim, we have been discussing the capabilities of converting this into a 5mm. I have a thread going over at my 5mm site. It is definitely something that should be feasible

Here's the 5mm next to the two V-Max loaded rounds:

Jim, the gun at the Winchester booth was having issues all day. The one up the hill at the Savage booth was functioning perfectly. Did you get a chance to shoot the 1885 as well? That is going to be a fun little gun!

Eric