Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Default setting up form die??

Pretty new to the wildcat reloading. I am trying to form 17 TAC brass from 20 tac brass. I have a redding #1 forming die from the woodchucks den. I am wanting some advice as to how to go about setting up the form die in the press. Do I run it down till it kisses the shellholder in the ram at the top of the stroke, like a FL sizing die? Thanks in advance, John
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 AM

The method that I use may not be one that you can use, but the best way that I have found to set up a forming die is to use the same headspace gauge that will be used to chamber the barrel with. Place the gauge in the shell holder and adjust the die to be a firm fit on the gauge and if your barrel is headspaced correctly it will yield a near perfect fit for your brass. I do my own barrel work so it's not a big deal to end up with a good fit. Tolerance stacking can give you some undesirable results if you simply touch the shell holder to the bottom of the die. It's not that difficult and I'm sure you will find a way that gives you good results. Happy wildcatting.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 AM

Default Setting up form die

You will want to have the die just touching the shell holder on your first forming session of the brass. After you have trimed and preped the brass and loaded and fireformed it to your chamber, then you want to just neck size or back your F/L die to not touch the shellholder, so it fits your rifle's chamber. Bill K
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 AM

well, I tried a couple of pieces. Seemed to work fine. my new problem is that I am having this gun built with a .199 neck reamer, which means I will need to neck turn the brass. I went to neck turn the formed pieces, but the inside of the neck will not fit over the K&M pilot mandrel. Do I need to inside neck ream? this is turning into more of a PITA than i anticipated. Thanks again, John
Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Default Setting up to form

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninok View Post
well, I tried a couple of pieces. Seemed to work fine. my new problem is that I am having this gun built with a .199 neck reamer, which means I will need to neck turn the brass. I went to neck turn the formed pieces, but the inside of the neck will not fit over the K&M pilot mandrel. Do I need to inside neck ream? this is turning into more of a PITA than i anticipated. Thanks again, John
Did you run the brass, after you came out of the form die into the F/L die and size the neck in that die ? You most likely will have to do that prior to turning the neck down with your neck trimmer. Bill K
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 AM

Yes, thought I was on easy street. Lubed and sized in form die, then ran twice in FL die. Everything looked pretty good, could feel a pretty good resistence when brass pulled out of expander ball.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Default Setting up form die

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninok View Post
Yes, thought I was on easy street. Lubed and sized in form die, then ran twice in FL die. Everything looked pretty good, could feel a pretty good resistence when brass pulled out of expander ball.
Well now, I do not know. Did you measure the neck mandrel and the inside of the sized neck ? If they measure correctly, then it should fit.. Hopefully someone can give you the answer. Sometimes it can be, as you say, a PITA. Bill K
The light clicked.. As Silverfox said, annealing might do the trick.

Last edited by Bill K; 03-05-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Supporting Member

My advice would be to anneal those casing necks after you have run them through your dies and BEFORE you try to run the mandrel of your neck turing tool into them. I had that problem when I sized WW .204 Ruger brass down to .17 Rem brass. The neck ID was too small and there was excess friction on the turning mandrel. Once I annealed the necks everything worked great.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Silverfox; 03-05-2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 AM

Did you run the cases over an expander mandrel before trying to turn them?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 AM

no, but i think thats what i will probably do. Going to call Todd tomorrow.