Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Need some input

We are working on this 20/357max project. Have a set of 204R dies shortened. Buddy has his protype fireform rig setup. To test the rig we were going to run some 38Special brass into it and check to see if it fires properly. But, can't seem to run brass in completely without using an arbor press. There is, I believe, .002 difference in diameter between the 204 and the 38, could that make that much difference? Buddy has been using Lee sizing lube, switch maybe to Imperial? 38 brass is fired brass.

"If the insured is unwilling to leave the pistol at home, we will have to consider this an unacceptable risk."
"80% of success is just showing up." Woody Allen
Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Not knowing your exact setup, I would say that the end of the shortened die is is at a point in the taper that it is trying to resize the base of the cartridge. I guess I would measure one that you pressed in and resized, if it is smaller than needed I would make the base of the die slightly larger. Larry
Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Supporting Member

You didn't say if you were stepping down in multiple steps or not, but I would normally reduce from 38 to 204 in 3-4 steps. Maybe Gary Wenzl will see this, as I believe he has done something similar and might be able to give you some better info.

Drew