Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Default Noise Level

I have enjoyed hunting with 22 hornet's for many years. And have shot alot of ground hog's with the 22 Hornet. I like the cartridge because of the noise level. It allows you to hunt closer to live stock. And closer to the farm house without blowing the farmnr out of his hot mid day slumber. The rifle tends to get you invited back to hunt more critters on their farm because you aren't shooting the loud 22-250's and such.

So when it comes to noise level. How would you compare the 17 caliber Hornet or even the 19 caliber Hornet to the actual 22 Hornet?? Is there a noticable difference between the three in noise levels?? Thanks, Tom.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Hornet Noise..

Comparing the noise of the 17 AH, 19 Calhoon and the 22H; I like the 19 Calhoon because of the bullet weight selection. For less noise, I go the 40 & 44 grain Calhoon bullets(less powder, less noise). The 32ST, down-loaded, gives a quieter & less bullet by-pass: explodes on contact easier so bullets don't keep traveling to wrong targets. Though I have never had a Calhoon DHP bullet ricochet-they are very explosive, also. The smaller weight start more sonics at the faster velocities. The 17AH really gets loud with the smaller faster bullets. Even the 17HMR is way loud out our back door. The 17 MK II is my around the house round. Nothing has escaped that little bullet-and the noise is at a whole other lower noise level, pin-point accuracy!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD View Post
I have enjoyed hunting with 22 hornet's for many years. And have shot alot of ground hog's with the 22 Hornet. I like the cartridge because of the noise level. It allows you to hunt closer to live stock. And closer to the farm house without blowing the farmnr out of his hot mid day slumber. The rifle tends to get you invited back to hunt more critters on their farm because you aren't shooting the loud 22-250's and such.

So when it comes to noise level. How would you compare the 17 caliber Hornet or even the 19 caliber Hornet to the actual 22 Hornet?? Is there a noticable difference between the three in noise levels?? Thanks, Tom.
I shoot a 17 A/H with an Astra Ultra can on with 20gr bullets at 3,875ft/sec alomgside my mates 22Hornet with a T4 on and 45gr Win factory rounds at 2,570ft/sec from behind the scope they sound the same but if i am standing down range to call out adjustments to scopes the 22Hornet is a lot louder but both have different cans on ???
Wally
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM

I am with William T. in that the 17AH with the 20 grain V-Max has more crack sound to the report even when compared to the 25 grain V-Max. I noticed this in my recent switch to my 20 grain load. It has been a while since I shot my TC G2 Contender in 22 Hornet but the report of the round just does not have that higher pitch or crack. In the long run though the difference between the various rounds is very little. The report is a lot less than many of the larger cases making it a pleasure to shoot. I have to say my experience most livestock pays very little attention to our shooting. Just a couple a days ago I shot my 17AH around some horses for the first time and they paid no mind. Also when my brother and I check our rifles zeros before a prairie dog trip the cows tend come over to our area to check things out. One time they continued to graze only a few yards a way as I cut loose with my 6AI. The only noise issues we tend to have is with people, particularly with the city transplants out in the country. Bill
Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 AM
Supporting Member

I really like the 22 hornet for its quietness, but as far as livestock, I shoot among cows and horses all the time. Even a 7 Rem mag has no effect on them. I have never seen a horse or cow so much as even look up when I am shooting. They will graze withoin yards of my shooting table. I agree with Grdhgkiller, people are way more sensitive to the sound of guns going off than livestock or game.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Supporting Member

My theory on why animals aren't worried about the sound of gunfire is that it doesn't do them any harm so they aren't worried by it.........I think humans are more wary of gunfire because they know what can happen.......Kiwi
Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM

I also have a moderator on my 17AH, its then no louder than a modest supersonic 22LR.

A
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Suppressor

If suppressors are legal for hunting in your state I would highly recomend you get one. In Colorado it is legal to use them while hunting and I rarely shoot a rifle without one. It is way more enjoyable shooting varmints when you can talk to you buddies. The prairie dogs don't get spooked near as easily and I get alot more shooting in. I get invited back to properties because most of the time they and their neighbors didn't even notice me. I had one lady say "Please come back and bring your quiet gun." I have found the Thunder Beast all titanium suppresors to be the best money can buy. www.thunderbeastarms.com
AJ