Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM

Default New 204 SPS - UPDATED w/PICTURES

Sorry for always asking questions when I post on this site but you guys give accurate answers and I don't have to wade through a bunch of bs.

Anyway, I bought a 204 SPS a month ago and have been working on it ever since. Here is the timeline of what I've done and the results...

Loaded up some test loads using H335 and 40 Grain Hornady VMAXs. Tested with 25 – 26 ½ grains of H335 in ½ grain increments. Also loaded up a bunch of loads to sight in.

Shot around 20 sighters while cleaning the gun every 3 shots. It was grouping three shot groups of around 3 inches.

Once I got the gun somewhat sighted in I shot four different sets of test loads. No group measured under four inches.

Next I free float the barrel and adjust the trigger to approximately 3 pounds.

I then when out and shot three more groups of five with no group measuring under 4 inches again.

I checked the scope rings and mounts to make sure they were tight and no screws bottomed out and then thought it must be the scope since it is a new, unproven scope. So I switched scopes with one that is proven and got the exact same results.

I hope I didn’t forget anything that I did or the gun did to give you guys more information on what I should do. I’m planning on sending it back to Remington to have them take a look at it but am very disappointed because I wanted to use this gun for my upcoming hunting trip. I am leaving on Feb. 6th for the trip and I don’t see any way that I could have it back and ready by then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - pw

Last edited by pwking; 01-30-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Updating title to notify of pics
Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I'd try some 35 Bergers or 39 Sierra BK's pushed with RE-10x or H4895. Not many rifles out there care for the 40 V-Max. Your SPS is a 1:12 twist? When you floated the barrel what did you do to stiffen up the stock?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Waldo - thank you for the response.

I haven't tried another bullet/powder because I've never had a rifle shoot this poorly. I've ran bullets through some other guns that in no way should they shoot well based on the twist rate and they still didn't have anything close to 4" groups.

Could it be that this rifle hates 40 Grain VMAXs and H335 so badly? I assumed that couldn't be the cause, but am no expert.

It is a 1:12 twist. My buddy has a Savage which is also a 1:12 twist and is getting excellant results with the same loads.

I haven't stiffened the stock up yet but when I float a barrel I give it plenty of room - two business cards. I would have to push down very hard for the barrel to hit anywhere on the stock now.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Supporting Member

I agree that going from 3-4" groups to "acceptable/small" groups would be a long and lucky trip to achieve by changing bullets/powders.
But since the 1:12 can be picky with the 40's, it seems certainly worth your time and money to try some other combo.
I can send you some various bullets to try if you wish; Sierra or Hornady 32's, Dogtown 34's, Berger 35's, Sierra 39's, Nos 32 and 40's...

Greg
Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM

PW- let a friend that shoots at least as good if not better than you, shoot the gun and your reloads. If the groups are cut in half then the biggest problem is you. A Remington stock is more comfortable for me to shoot than either a Ruger or Savage, therefore I own almost all Remintons. Also, try some factory ammo to see if that makes a difference, if it does, then it is probably not the gun. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Mulerider - thank you for the generous offer and I may take you up on it. First I am going to have a gunsmith friend of mine take a look at the barrel with a bore scope and also try to diagnose it. Thank you very much though and like I said, I may take you up on it.

Qaz - I did do that as well. I had a good friend who shoots very well try shooting it and it came out with the same results. I also shot three other guns that day that had a worst group of 1.31" with test loads and some great groups under 1/2". It was a calm day, perfect for shooting.

So since it would be odd to have this gun shoot other bullets well I may send it in to Remington to have them look at it. It also scratches the cases fairly bad while loading and unloading. I would like that fixed as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

Check the crown...especially if the "group" is a somewhat round "pattern". Crown problems generally cause a large grouping like yours...

This is just a guess as I haven't seen the muzzle residue, but check for a nice even burn/striation of powder residue.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM

I'd be willing to bet it's a bullet/bore hiccup, as mentioned, most .204s do NOT like the 40 Hornady, it's a bit too long for the "nominal" 1-12" twist. I strongly suspect that most rifles aren't really 1-12", anyway, but more like 1-12.5". 1-12" is right at the ragged edge for stability with the 40s anyhow, and if the barrel is somewhat slower twisted than advertised, it simply won't shoot them. Neither of my .204s like them, and my buddy shot a new rifle yesterday that gagged on them, too. His other rifles will shoot them reasonably well, but the new rifle was making "neat" 4" 'groups' and he wasn't too happy about it.
I'd quit dinking around with the 40s and try the 39 Sierra, it's shorter and much more forgiving, it's not common to find a rifle that doesn't like them. This is a distillation of what we've found on the .204um, I read most every post over there.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default I'll get in this line

I own a couple of Rems in 204, an XR100 and a Mdl7, and neither of them will shoot the Hornady 40gr'er for spit. Great accuracy with 32's up to the 39gr Sierras. In fact I had to take a hard look at how a rifle could shoot a 40 gr bullet so bad and a 39gr so well. I use Sierra 39's and WC844(basically H335) as my PD load in addition to having killed about a 5' tall pile of feral pigs on my property with the 39gr Sierra.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Chuck and Glenn - so you both think it could be the bullet even though it is shooting about a 4" group? If so, I will get some bullets ASAP and give em a shot before I go into the process of shipping it to Remington.