Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 AM

Windham Weaponry is using Green Mountain barrels and these are shooting right along with Criterion and Douglas barrels.

This was posted by the WW lead gunsmith on the ar15.com forum.....
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM

A History Professor by the name of William Harper from Alabama reloads the 7.62x39 with 150 gr .310 bullets for Hogs down there, I would imagine they'd be very effective, you can find his posts on RFC. If tiny targets at 250-300 yards are your goal, wrong tool for the job but Hogs in the brush or even small fields should be well accommodated by that set up. SKS's and AK's have given the round a bad name for accuracy, that's the rifle not the round. I've killed two Deer with my CZ527 at 200 to 225 yards lasered after the shot, one ran about 40 yards and the other dropped right where he stood. Beyond 200 yards the rainbow trajectory makes things a bit too interesting.

Some pretty typical three shot groups with a couple of factory ammunitions from the CZ 527, I see one groups with the Hornady did open up beyond 1" at 100 yards but with a 2-7x Kahles scope on it I'll forgive it.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Supporting Member

Ammo does have a great affect on the results. I run Lapua cases in the bolts and since they are .308 bores there is a large assortment of quality bullets, 110 gr. V-Max and 125 gr. BT's get the nod in the 15tw. In the SKS and Mini 30 they get PPU cases and 123 gr. .311 Z-Max or SST's depending on the quarry. They are both a lot of fun even in their effective ranges. Accuracy Systems Inc. Can help get the Mini's running.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM

My two favorite loads for my 7.62x39mm CZ527 are 28.0 gr Rl-7 and a 130 gr Norma .311" bullet at 2340 fps and 26.7 gr. Rl-7 with a Sierra 150 gr. 311 at 2200 fps. Usually 5 shots will go into an inch at 100 yards with either of these loads.

I also have a Colt 7.62x39mm AR with a 2 MOA red dot sitting on top of it. One of my favorite plinking rifles for young shooters. I use a Lyman 311410 bullet sized to .312" and 13 gr. of 2400 to send it out the barrel. Recoil is light, accuracy is about 2" at 100 yards and the spent cases land just a few feet away. If time is free, I figure its cheaper than 22 RF to shoot.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM

Default Let me just say

I love accurate bolt rifles and for today I not only learned a few things about AR's but I was reminded, with gratitude..I really love accurate bolt rifles.

To the AR: rifle functions flawlessly and is "fun" to shoot, except for the hot brass in the neck of the brass catcher I mean hooded sweatshirt. Kind of reminded me of out of position welding fun…

The little scope up top is..well..a POS, however the little laser on the side of it was good out to about 20yds. The vertical adjustment on the scope doesn't have well defined clicks and the dial is loose, may be a little bit stripped, off it comes. The truglo gizmo hanging off the front needs a little adjusting but functions as designed.

Upon diagnosing the scope issues I moved up closer and ran some federal ammo through using the laser sights..with a relatively speaking stiff trigger and unfamiliar furniture it still put the federals into a pig worthy group.

Any suggestions for new, mid priced optics are appreciated..no more shooting until the new optics are in place and the brassblisters subside….did I mention I love accurate bolt rifles..lol
Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default brass

I think the brass issue was one thing I never could get over, it's hard on it and chasing it's a pain. I even hate shooting next to an AR at the range.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 AM
Supporting Member

Adjustable gas blocks can help with the robust ejection. Check out Sightron tactical scopes. The have a nice low power unit.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 PM

For a mid-range scope, look real close at the new Leupold owned Redfield scope line. They make both a tactical and a standard hunting style scope. Careful which line you purchase from as some Redfield scopes are manufactured overseas if that is part of your decision making process. As best as I can tell they all come with the lifetime warranty with similar wording to Leupold's warranty.

There are also some great deals currently on the VX3 Leupold scopes getting closed out due to the new VX3i line and I just saw some excellent pricing on a VX2 3x9x40 duples for $239.00 on Amazon.

Let us know a dollar amount you are looking to keep it under and I am sure the suggestions will keep flooding in. Also, your anticipated use will help guide recommendations.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default scopes

When I was afflicted with the EBG disease I ran 3, one with a heavy 26" barrel which obviously used a big scope, needed a fifth wheel to drag it around. The other 2 I used for exactly what your looking at doing, putting a 55gr'er in the bread basket of as many ferals as possible, usually from a baited stand. Those I ended up using Leupold VX1's in matte finish 3-9x40. Picked up 2 NIB for 150ea and sent them to Leupold and had the parallax dialed down to 65yds which is where they set their rimfire line of scopes. Mine were sighted in at 50yds and it was a simple thing to determine 100yd POI for a hail mary at departing porkers or for that large Sow that usually hung up at the treeline as she sent her children to their demise. Price was pretty reasonable and now they reside on Sako Quads. Started off with Bushnell 10X 3200's but field of view was too small so acquiring targets quickly was always a problem. Can't go wrong with the Leupy and if you change your mind you always have a place to put one it seems.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Supporting Member

Purely with piggies in mind, I purchased a Radical Firearms 7.62x39 complete upper, and with ASC magazines it has run flawlessly. From day one I was not going to send any steel bullets down the bore, so Hornady SST's and Prvi/PPU PSP were the factory ammo of choice.

The Prvi stuff shot better than expected (1-1.5" groups), and is quite fast...and is the source of my brass for reloading. So far the Sierra 125, Hornady Z-Max 123, and the Hornady 123 SP over RL7 or AA2200 have yielded good, not great, accuracy (velocities in the 2400fps area).

I run a Weaver Extreme 1.5x4.5 scope, not good for bench work, but great in the field.
Here's a big sow from 3 weeks back...got a triple that day (also 2 smaller sows).