Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22TCM "Wildcat"??

Anybody get any further on building a 20 or 17 chambered rig for the TCM?
Still thinking hard on this end. Maybe I need to start necking down some TCM brass and see about getting a reamer and dies? THAT should get the ball rolling. Probably ( It WILL ) be based on a Savage action. All that would be needed is a barrel. No chance of it ever being a repeater. Single feed and NO PROBLEMS with feeding or extraction.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:01 PM

Default 20 tcm

I chambered a 20 tcm and a 17 tcm, they shot real well. I used one of my Savages (short action 223 bolt head) .
The problem was extraction, they are so short and fall off the bolt, you end up shaking them out of the gun most of the time. I think they would go good in a TC Contender.
A model 25 Savage (small ejection port) I don't think would be good, not sure a CZ 527 or L461 would be much better.
Hook a case on the bolt of whatever you want to use and see if your happy with extraction.
I think I still have some cases, PM me if you need some formed 20's sgtg out

PS. Have you considered a 20 Ackley Hornet?

Last edited by sgtg; 02-11-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Supporting Member

Havn't considered anything else so far. Still stuck on the TCM. Looks MUCH BETTER than my 20 VT "Short" that I had LOTS of problems making brass. The TCM brass just looks good from the start.
With my 20 VT "short" (shoulder pushed back .200"), never had a problem with extraction. Case just stayed on the bolt head till I picked it off. And that was with a standard .223 bolt head, less the ejector rod and spring.
Factory TCM brass looks to be pretty stout so much better than messing around making your own. One less step to deal with.

Do you remember how much powder it took to fill the TCM case? I think it was around 16 grains of AA 2230 to the bottom of the shoulder for the "short".

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 02-11-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

NCM, I followed stgt in the 20 cal. I did like you are speaking of on your VT short. I left the ejector rod and spring out and it worked well enough I haven't tore it down for something else LOL. I haven't had it out since hunting season started but its almost time to play more. I did like the ease of forming the cases. In the past I made buku 222 out of 223 and wouldn't think about doing that again.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Supporting Member

Joe:
Knowing how to do it and doing it is two different things.
It really doesn't take much for us to take the "easier way" out when good brass is available. Maybe we DO learn things as we get older??
My "short" brass was OK after it was fired but it took a lot to get it "just right". Lots of force to get the shoulder back and still have the base in good order. Base got distorted (on some cases) to the point that the primer was too far forward and a few FTF occured. Finally figured that out. Once fired, no more problems. Brass with the shoulder already pushed back like the TCM?
How cool is that? I'll take the easier way any day.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 AM

Mikie I am pretty sure bowfisher has been messing around with a 17 TCM version.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 AM
Supporting Member

I've made 22 TCM brass from 223 and it wasn't too bad but I have three firming does set up and finally got my gear reduction motors set up also...

That said I found a price that was so cheap on 22 TCM brass that in sure I have a lifetime supply now.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member

I have spent considerable time trying to get a 17 TCM with a 40 degree shoulder, to shoot. My barrel started out as a 17 VHA and I couldn't get it to group so I re-chambered it to the TCM. My gunsmith noticed a tight spot in the barrel and the TCM didn't shoot any better than the VHA. I now have a new barrel waiting to be chambered. Case capacity to bottom of the neck was 14.3 grains of 1680.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Supporting Member

Curious as to what kind of accuracy you were getting? I "prefer" one hole groups but anything around a couple inches at distance would be OK??
I guess it depends on what you're shooting.
Ever consider going to lighter bullets? Something like a 20 grain V Max?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

Like I say, my barrel had a tight spot so my groups were all over the place.