Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 AM

This rifle is of a highly sought after Remington.

This is the rifle that M40's clones are built off of...the exact rifle that you have described.

These can sell in the $800 range. Yours would not, because the bolt face would need work to use with the 308 sized cases.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Supporting Member

Update::::::::::::::

I saw the guy this afternoon out in his yard and I walked down to his house. I asked if he got the rifle appraised and he told me he called them yesterday and they offered him $475 sight unseen in the described condition and they told him he "might get $600, maybe $650" by selling it outright to the "right buyer"....

So........... I offered him the $650 which is exactly what I had decided was the max I was willing to pay for the rifle to begin with... He laughed and told me his wife would be pleased at that news, but he couldn't take that much. He had bought the rifle new in San Antonio, in "1960 something" according to him, and when he wrote a check for $162 for the rifle, his then fairly new wife thought they might not ever be able to afford to eat again.

He bought it because he had an uncle in the Rio Grande Valley who was overrun with coyotes, and he wanted to try his hand at killing coyotes. He said he never considered scoping the rifle as most shots were from ~25-75 yards in fairy heavy mesquite and brush. Besides, he told me the gun salesman told him that this then relatively new "222 round" would kill anything you pointed the rifle at, at any range.... I guess that guy behind the gun counter has had a long career and has worked in a lot of different places......

Bottom line......... We settled on "the most" he would take in cash, and I negotiated that I and my wife are also taking him and his wife to dinner at Pappadeux's tomorrow evening. By the time we eat some really good Cajun food with appetizers and kill a bottle of good wine in a nice restaurant, the rifle will no doubt have cost me right at $650..... But when I was walking the rifle home with it slung over my shoulder "safari style", the open-mouth look I got from the yuppie couple who don't speak to anyone on the block was worth twice that much. They were getting into their BMW with mouths agape at me, and I'm sure I'll be the "topic of conversation" for them and their friends for quite awhile... Besides, a nice dinner with good folks is worth a lot just by itself, too.

I never thought about "before" pictures as the rifle stock is now doused in Zip Strip, but I will post some "after" pics with the stock oil finished. I still haven't decide if I want to put a scope on the rifle or just leave it like it is.

One neat thing I noticed after I got it home is the rifle has the "pre-Australian" style of short bolt shroud on it. Early 700 rifles had a short bolt shroud that left the back of the striker exposed after the rifle was fired. I'm not sure of the total logic involved, but the Australian government required that an imported rifle have a bolt shroud long enough so that if there was a live round in the chamber and the striker was in the fired position with the firing pin touching the primer, that the striker could not be hit on the back with a hammer and possibly cause the rifle to fire a live round. So, because Remington was exporting a lot of Model 700 rifles to Australia back then, Remington made a longer bolt shroud still found on 700 rifles so that in the current scenario the back of the striker is inside the bolt shroud in the fired position and it is not accessible to a hammer thump.

Another cool feature on these old rifles, IMO, is the squared checkered safety lever.

Pictures of the new oil finish stock and rifle coming after the stock is done in a few days...

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 AM

Default Bayou

I you decide to scope your .222 think about a fixed power scope. If you want the rifle as a walk-up rifle I would recommend a 6x scope. If for a Varmint rifle off a rest an 8-10x scope would work fine. No need for a variable scope. For a die set if you don't have one already an RCBS will do fine.

I have a Rem 722 in .222 cal with a 10x Weaver scope and RCBS dies among others for a .222. You'll be happy with your deal.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
I you decide to scope your .222 think about a fixed power scope. If you want the rifle as a walk-up rifle I would recommend a 6x scope. If for a Varmint rifle off a rest an 8-10x scope would work fine. No need for a variable scope. For a die set if you don't have one already an RCBS will do fine.

I have a Rem 722 in .222 cal with a 10x Weaver scope and RCBS dies among others for a .222. You'll be happy with your deal.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Thanks for all the information and suggestions, but this isn't my first rodeo with a 222 Rem...

This is purely a sporter weight rifle... I have several extra fixed power Leupys lying in wait, but I also have several good variables that will work just fine if I decide to scope it.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 AM

Default Never Considered This Your Only Rifle

The effective Range for a field .222 is 250-300 yd. from experience. Scope is your choice I too have extra scopes Leupold and the like fixed and Variable. After several scope changes I've settled on the fixed scopes.

I'm with you here, I buy rifles to be shooters. Stripping the finish and replacing with what you like is a good exercise for any factory rifle with some wear on it, might find some better wood than you first saw and become aware of the stock bedding. What type of checkering on a 1964 ADL? I have have a 70's ADL that has impressed checkering not bad, utilitarion, the impressed checkering can become cut checkering if you choose to do the labor.

I overhauled my 722 Remington in .222 Rem. in 83. Glad I did it rifle feels better to me better balance, most that see it think it is a Custom something. Factory barrel was shortened to 24 1/2". Barreled action was prepared by myself with up to 600 grit rouge polishing compound after many sandings. Stock finish was stripped to the wood by myself hand sanding in 5 grits, 80-600, sealed, and a Brownells epoxy finish was added with help from my smith at that time. Common routine here, the new epoxy was sanded down several times and the final finish was brushed on. The stock was then buffed on wheels same 240-600 roughe compound, as my barrel was done with, a Pachmayer RP 200 brown pad was installed. I bought the polishing arbor with wheels and polishing compounds from my smith along with some of his other equipment when he decided to retire. My 722 makes for a nice walk-up gun, did before the overhaul too. Good luck with your new to you rifle.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 04-04-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB:

Update to my post below.
Should have read the thread first huh? Typical of me!
Glad you got a good deal. Seems the older generation mostly won't try to take advantage all they can.
You got a fair buy and both happy. Plus now you're the talk of the neighborhood too. Can't buy that at any price!
Wonder how far they got before calling the cops to complain: "There's a man with a gun walking down the street!!!!"
I've had it happen to myself and I've lived here since late '73. Cops were called because I had a big iron hunting rig over my shoulder and two rifle's in my hands. Cops got a kick out of it when I showed them how I carried them from the trk to the house. New neighbors here and since moved, thank God for miricles!!

I have a copy of the '02 Blue Book, issue #Twenty Seven.

MSR $543, 100% $430 98% $345 95% $270

Add 20% for 20" barrel mfg 1962-63)
Add 50% fir ,222ReM Mag, or .280 20"

This is NOT the current book value, but, it should give you something to go on, or at least consider.

Wish you both the best on this.
Did the man buy it new himself?
How much shooting has the gun seen? Can he tell you that?
Sounds like it's nearly new condition.

Good luck

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 04-04-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Supporting Member

I've been lusting over the triple deuce for a while. Every rifle collection needs one ! Here's a good idea on pricing http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...ue#Post2473120

One nice / bad thing about walking with a rifle around here everyone wants to talk to you. What you hunting what caliber why that caliber where's your partner you need a partner how did YOU get permission want me to spot for you ?
I drive either the wifes or daughters jeeps to hide my identity while hunting.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM

BCB,

Think I have a BDL of the same vintage in 222mag. I acquired mine preowned in about 75 from a similar transaction. We argued over what the max price should be too..... :-) ......in the same way as your guy and yourself. Missed the dinner though, both working for a big outfit and had to get back to work.

I appreciate hearing the stories on the rifle, especially about the pricing with the guy. Things like that keeps me in the gun hobby...........

Rick W.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Supporting Member

Here's mine, made in 1977, not quite as old as your, but it has fantastic wood for a Rem...Tom

Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM

Default Finally!

I've been waiting for this post that I pretty much knew was coming.
Can't wait for the sequel.

Good find, and well done as usual.
Charlie