Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Question 19 Badger

Hi All,
I have an interest in the 19 Badger as a small game and vermin rifle. I'd like to hear from someone who has one. What are they like. Do they perform as the James Calhoon web site advertise . Do they carbon up less tha a 17. How long do the barells last.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Supporting Member

I have a 19 calhoon hornet and love it, depending where in aus you live you are welcome to come try it out, i'm down in eastgippsland, you can get me at jcrees@westnet.com.au I think the badger would be an even better choice, I can run you through the b.s. thats involved and hook you up with some great people in montana for the export, thinking about doing another one myself so maybe we can get together, kinda romantic aint it, small cal that is
johno
Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 AM

Thanks Johno. I have sent an emial to you.

Anyone else got something to say or provide advice about getting a quiet, 300yd vermin gun. How quiet is the Bager. Quieter than a 204?

Let me know your thoughts
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 AM

Default .19 badger

i do. i've had it about a year now, and it's the rifle i keep with me in the truck most of the time. crows and blackbirds are targets of choice.
1- accuracy----100 yards.....1/2 inch most times. seldem miss a crow at 200 yds.
2- i ordered 400 cases, and my drill is to load all 400, shoot 200, clean, shoot 200, clean, load 400. i don't notice a drop in accuracy in 200 rounds, but there isn't much fouling as cleaning is a breeze. i use calhoons 55 gr bullet in my 22-250 and it fouls a lot less.
3- barrel life...don't know. i've got about 1000 rds thru this one. calhoon says 7000.

his load data was right on for me. 32 gr bullet, 15.5 gr reloader 7, and cci 400 primers. i bought some military surplus powder(wc680) pretty cheap, which calhoon said is like AA1680. i use 15.5 gr of it and it was just as accurate as reloader 7, but i guess a little faster because it shot about 1 inch higher. i tried calhoons max loads and didn't see over-pressure, but accuracy suffered a little. i really enjoy this thing.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 AM

Default 19 Calhoon

Deerndingo,

If you are ok with only ONE bullet supplier go for it. Not much selection for barrels but then again thats the draw for some wanting esoteric goodies. Im the same way with wood. The more obscure the better. I have never shot a 19 cal but can only think that it would be just as good as any well built 17 or 20 caliber. The British had the 4.85 experimental with heavy bullets but thats a different animal due to bullet weight. I have some in my collection and they look like real go getters

Corbin
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 AM

turbocat,
What about trajectory and noise.

Are they quiter than a 204, but more than a hornet.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM

deer
i don't know if calhoon has published a ballistic table for the badger, but mine is set about 1 inch high at 100 yds. this allows 200 yd shots on crows with little or no hold over.i haven't shot a lot of paper, but i killed a crow at 215 yds by aiming at the top of its head. 4 to 5 inch drop probably.
never messed with the hornet. the noise is a little less than my rem. xr-100 in .204, but not bad to me.after 30 years of listening to big aircraft engines i'm kind of hearing impaired anyway:-)
light recoil allows you to see the hit and make corrections if needed.
as far as bullet concerns of only one supplier....stock up.i keep 3000 rds in reserve.this is a toy for me,so i feel if a person can justify the rifle, stocking bullets should be no burden. if you don't shot them, you can always sell them.
barrels...if it lasts 7000 rds, you've gotten your moneys worth. if you get it, and lose interest or whatever,resale of wildcats can be tough.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:18 AM

I have 19 Calhoon Hornet and I love it, his claims seem to be right on. My 19 shoots very well, I shot dogs this summer out to 225 yards by sighting in at 1" high at 100yds and aiming at the tops of their heads, even at this range there were explosive results. My load is 14.3gr of 1680 behind a 27gr bullet 3600-3700fps.