Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default Savage Target Action 20 VarTarg Not Ejecting Casings

I recently had my gun smith remove the .204 Ruger barrel from my Savage Target action and chamber an X-Caliber barrel 20 VarTarg and install it on the Savage Target action. The casings will extract from the chamber, but drop off the bolt loooooong before they get back far enough in the action to eject.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem???? If so, I sure would appreciate hearing what you did to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM

Remington M700 rifles used to have this problem with .221 Fireball-based cartridges. The problem was the location of the extractor. They changed the extractor location for Fireball bolts.

See this thread: http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34740

I don't know if the problem with your Savage has the same cause, but if it is the same perhaps Savage makes a Fireball-specific bolt.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Savage "does not" make an action that will eject the short 20 VT or Fireball case. There IS a cure but you may not want to go that way.
Make it a Single Shot. I have removed ALL the ejectors on my Savage bolt heads so I don't have to deal with those short cases popping off the bolt heads about half way on extraction. With the ejector pin and spring removed, the case will stay on the bolt head on full opening and you just pick the case off. No more problems with those short cases popping off and no more chasing brass either.
I ran into that problem years ago and tried everything to find a cure for it. Shorter springs, less pressure springs, etc. Finally went single shot and never looked back. Short of going Remington Fireball bolt, the single shot solves the problem. I even went as far as to order a couple of 17 VHA bolt head from PT&G with NO ejector pin hole. Remington and I also believe Cooper that issue covered?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 PM

My Cooper Model 21 never had an issue dropping VT cases. Regardless, being a single shot, my preference was to remove the ejector.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:21 AM

I agree with NorCalMikie. I have a Savage Target Action barreled in .221FB and a repeater action converted to single shot in .20VT and did the same thing to both of them early on. No issues, no complaints.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:51 AM
Supporting Member

My Savage Target action is a single shot with a right bolt/left port, so I'll try to remove the ejector pin and spring. Are there any tricks I need to know about--like putting a rag over the bolt when I try to remove the ejector pin and spring. I had fun with the little ball bearing under the extractor. It liked to jump out and hide!!! Thanks for the suggestion.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Supporting Member

Seems like I used a small finishing nail as a punch to drive out the retaining pin. No issues.
The extractor ball IS a different story. Inside a baggie worked pretty well. Extra balls on hand also helps.
Local bike shop, pocket magnet, baggie and a few $$ will replenish your supply. That's what they use as wheel bearings.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 AM
Supporting Member

I will try removing the ejector pin and spring to see if that will work. Otherwise I might try what Lisa at SSS suggested when she sent the following message to me:

Quote:
Our modified extractor kit will cure the problem.
The kit costs $20 and shipping is $4. I don't know exactly what's in the kit??? But if it solves my problem it will be $24 well spent.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions.

NRA Life Member
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 AM

I'm a little late to reply on this one. Removing the ejector is certainly an option and an easy one. I think Fred's kit will fix you up also. On my target action one brand of brass falls out of the extractor the instant the neck clears the chamber, another brand of brass works flawlessly. A lot of guys install a little larger ball on the extractor to solve this problem. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

Default SSS Ejector Kit WORKS GREAT!!!

I ordered the "Ejector Kit" from SSS and it arrived a couple days ago. I installed it before supper tonight and it was definitely the answer to my casing ejection problems!!! That has to be one of the best $20 I have spent in a long time.

The kit consisted of a new extractor with a slightly longer claw than the original, a new ball bearing that is slightly larger than the factory one, a new ejector spring, and a new ejector which is slightly longer than the original. I installed the kit today and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with the results!!!

NRA Life Member