Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Supporting Member

Default CZ527 Barrel size

What is the thread diameter and pitch on a CZ527? How hard is it to replace a barrel? I have the desire to start a project.
John
Old 12-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default metric

threads are metric,,,1.25 M and about 0.990" dia. [I'm relying on memory,,so check that before you hack on metal].
A mistake often made is to OVERtighten the action wrench. The front action ring is rather thin,,,and you WILL squeeze it tighter onto the barrel shank if you go much past "three finger" tight on the action wrench bolts. If you doubt this,,IF you get the action loose,,tighten the action wrench bolts a bit even when the action is swinging loose, and notice how little the bolts have to be tightened to make the action 'drag' on the barrel shank.
I put a few drops of KROIL on the barrel/action threads a couple days ahead IF I think about it. Some CZs have a bit of dried whale snot on the threads,,not sure what it is, but it's crusty and glue like.
I have 3 lathes,,but none metric capable,,so I use a friend's Colchester 15" by [way out there on the ways-?] that has metric. Some use 20 threads per inch which is real 'close' and works,,but as a machinist would say "if it ain't 'right',,it AIN'T RIGHT".
Great little actions, huh?
I pulled my .221 FireBall barrel a few nights ago,,,,,will probaby become a 22PPC unless someone wants to buy it as is. Shoots 3/8" at 100 with 20.5/1680/40Vmax. Shot 500 of those in Montana this May,,maybe 40 more rounds back here off the bench,,total of 540 rounds thru it so far. After the 17 Mach IV PacNor goes on,,the .221FB will be history.